What are the wiki screenshots used for? What uses do they have?

I have no idea how other wiki users (heh) use them, I still upload them however, most pages would look pretty barebones without them anyway. Just curious.

Screenshots serve a couple of purposes:

• They complement the tables in the articles by giving a visual reference to most of the options covered by the wiki. Like you said, articles tend to be very dry without them.
  • They give readers an idea where to find all the options in-game without having to dive into the actual menus themselves. They "flatten out" the menu hierarchy.
    • Ex. The subtitles toggle might be under "General", rather than "Audio".
  • They also show all the possible settings a user can modify (including features not covered by the wiki).

The Black Ops III page has a few extra screenshots for things I would otherwise skip.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops_III

Are some of these pointless or should we actually put up even more settings on the wiki articles?

I actually had some suspicion you made the thread because of those :p 

I would say that at least over half of input that articles rebinding screens are somewhat pointless. I personally include rebinding menus for completeness sake and for info like several keys for single action, shared screen with controller, possible menu behaviour change with controller, etc, etc. So basically even I think having posting whole rebinding menus are somewhat useless, however it's better to have everything in there and then simply delete unnecceserities than having only single compressed jpg and then start expanding it. Because I have seen articles only including half of graphical settings and nothing else. 

But even at that article, I did put them into the gallery format so they basically take couple hundred pixels of vertical space, so I'm certain it won't bother anyone, unless server magically has it's storage capacity running out. 

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 394 Guests (See full list)