Supporting the Oculus Rift

Nicereddy

The Oculus RIft looks like it's going to be a very big deal and getting ourselves out there as a good place to find information on it may be a good idea. I doubt any of you have an Oculus, and I definitely don't expect anyone to throw down 300$ for one, but I was wondering if anyone thinks we should try support it. There are various wikis and forums with lots of info on the subject, so we can probably take info from them. For example, Team Fortress 2 got Oculus support today (Source) and it already has a wiki page on the subject. We could take information from their page when using it on the Team Fortress 2 page.

As for the Oculus Rift page itself, we should include configuration information as well as a list of games that support the Oculus Rift, or are planning to support it.

I think we should do both, frankly. We got the Hardware Category for a small blurb on the device and games that support it, and we can definitely put config info in the game articles themselves (we can always make it collapsible by default if it gets too long).

I'd suggest having only a true/false/hackable entry in the main video settings template which then links to an Oculus Rift section with true/false/hackable for each feature. The supported games spreadsheet lists the features as 3D, FOV, Warp, Tracking, TrackIR5 and Mouse-Emulation. I have made an example template based on that: User:Garrett/Oculus.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd suggest having only a true/false/hackable entry in the main video settings template which then links to an Oculus Rift section with true/false/hackable for each feature. The supported games spreadsheet lists the features as 3D, FOV, Warp, Tracking, TrackIR5 and Mouse-Emulation. I have made an example template based on that: User:Garrett/Oculus.

Adding the Oculus Rift to the main video settings template would be great. A simple "Oculus Rift = True" would be all that is required as 3D and Tracking are the two features that the Oculus Rift provides, whilst Warping is just a part of the physical hardware that allows the Rift to work. It doesn't use Mouse-Emulation at all as far as I know and TrackIR5 isactually a different piece of hardware entirely.

Adding the Oculus Rift to the main video settings template would be great. A simple "Oculus Rift = True" would be all that is required as 3D and Tracking are the two features that the Oculus Rift provides, whilst Warping is just a part of the physical hardware that allows the Rift to work. It doesn't use Mouse-Emulation at all as far as I know and TrackIR5 isactually a different piece of hardware entirely.

Ah, I was thinking these were features used by the Oculus Rift that varied between games. Anyway, I've added oculus_rift= and oculus_rift_notes= parameters to Template:Video Settings. :)

We should probably only use it when it's true, or else 99% of the pages would have a useless box that says false. Also, shouldn't it be an input setting not a video setting?

I've added oculus_rift= and oculus_rift_notes= parameters to Template:Video Settings. :)

Awesome, thank-you.

We should probably only use it when it's true, or else 99% of the pages would have a useless box that says false.

Yeah, that would make sense.

Also, shouldn't it be an input setting not a video setting?

The Rift gives both input (head tracking) and output (3D video), but personally I think that it would be better suited to the video settings as it is a visual device.