Games with 30 FPS lock

So I think I found the list from the see games with high frame rate support link on the http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Frame_rate_%28FPS%29 page and changed it from 'true or hackable' to 'false'. Is there a way to also show the High Frame Rate Notes field in that list too?

Was just asking about this, because right now HFR tag means game is locked to lower than 120 FPS and if it's other than 60 FPS then it's noted and if it's lower it's keynoted as well. 

As Marioysikax mentioned the grading on the wiki isn't the same as TotalBiscuit's project. The wiki's high frame rate feature is rated as false if the game is capped anywhere below 120 FPS whereas the curator project is only concerned with caps at 30 FPS or below.
​

Is there a way to also show the High Frame Rate Notes field in that list too?

​
Not at this time. Semantic MediaWiki does not handle all characters for the text datatype, so links in the notes resulted in a broken output for the table. This might be resolved in a future version of Semantic MediaWiki.

Well, this has certainly drawn a lot of activity. Honestly I think the high frame rate cell should be migrated to any type of lock as even now it isn't very future-proof at all with 144Hz monitors slowly taking off in more affluent areas. Just something to think about for now :D.

I don't think it's really about refresh rate of monitors.

I mean, even if I had a 250Hz screen and games played at 120FPS I don't think you should suffer of that much loss, it's not like it would be something as noticeable as between 60 and 120.

The actual extreme case imo, the one were then high frame rate is not a luxury but a necessity is when you are playing 3D. Frame rate is halved with a frame per eye.

And I guess we all agree games ain't reputable when they can't even be played with sixty frames per second

Well, this has certainly drawn a lot of activity. Honestly I think the high frame rate cell should be migrated to any type of lock as even now it isn't very future-proof at all with 144Hz monitors slowly taking off in more affluent areas. Just something to think about for now :D.

I think 120Hz is fine as a standard value. What do you mean by any type of lock anyway? I don't really understand.

The rise of 144Hz displays shouldn't be an issue--games that meet the 120 FPS criteria will almost always be able to run beyond that.

The wiki's criteria could certainly be overhauled in the event of a major leap forward (e.g. displays supporting a ~240Hz input).

The rise of 144Hz displays shouldn't be an issue--games that meet the 120 FPS criteria will almost always be able to run beyond that.

The wiki's criteria could certainly be overhauled in the event of a major leap forward (e.g. displays supporting a ~240Hz input).

Ultra High Framerate? v.gif

Oh as in, taking into account 60 FPS locked games?

Actually there are even some games that are hard capped precisely at 120. But others even 100.

Then I'm pretty sure there are many limited between 150 and 200.

Frankly, I don't see all this need to update the value to infinity and beyond. We should just think to the worst case (which atm I can think only of 3D vision) and stick with a value that acceptably return a great experience.

I just meant to document if it had a frame rate lock at all (games like DmC run completely unlocked, for example), and if so what it is - I personally think the definition of "High Frame Rate" is too arbitrary as I mentioned above. That's all - thanks!

That would be another way of handling things, but the problem then is how to phrase it. "Frame rate cap" isn't suitable because the tick normally means a feature's state is something good. "Uncapped frame rate" is an option, but determining the existence of an absolute cap beyond the current level can be difficult for the more demanding titles. Additionally, some known caps are very high (a few pages on the wiki list caps in the region of 500-1000 FPS), so a simple pass/fail for the use of a cap would mean such cases would be marked as failures despite the cap being set beyond current frame rate expectations.

I'd also like to point out how sometimes even games with technically no cap actually requires it. For example I can think to Dead Space, or Skyrim (which use v-sync to cap framerate and everything is screwed with non 60Hz monitors iirc)

So I guess high frame rate is still the most comprehensive wording I can think of

Also, some time ago I started World in Conflict and noticed there were a "power saving" feature, which purposely cap the game to 30FPS for laptop battery life.

I found something similar in Portal 2 too.

Still, considering capping is not the point I'm still wondering where mentioning this could make sense

Also, some time ago I started World in Conflict and noticed there were a "power saving" feature, which purposely cap the game to 30FPS for laptop battery life.

I found something similar in Portal 2 too.

Still, considering capping is not the point I'm still wondering where mentioning this could make sense

I'd mention it because people expecting a high-framerate experience suddenly getting a 30FPS cap because of a low battery may get confused - especially if they've told the OS and the GPU to keep going at full power even when the battery runs low.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 265 Guests (See full list)