Issue with Kotor 2 widescreen

Linkin

I have Kotor 2 on steam, and also a retail/dvd copy.

Have followed the instructions on the wiki and as per xuul's video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSiVC92dJHI

However my kotor 2 ends up looking like this, with the restored content mod or no, and with or without the fixed hud.

WhiN2DO.png

The resolution of that image is 1280x1024.

The EXE version is 2.1.0.0 from the squizzy patch - steam version is 2.2.0.0

If it makes any difference, I can run kotor 1 in widescreen perfectly fine using the right exe and uniws. I'm on windows 10 but also had this issue in win7. The game won't run in anything other than 95/98&me compatibility mode unless I use steam's exe, which locks me out of using widescreen. If it makes any difference I have a 120hz screen, 1920x1080. I did previously get kotor 2 working but on a different windows install.

The different refresh rate might have something to do with it. You could try limiting it to 60Hz and see if it behaves correctly. Otherwise, I'm not sure if the instructions have been changed or anything, as I had it working by the time I wrote the new instructions.

I think I've had that happen too though, while I was writing stuff up. So it might not be entirely related to the refresh rate in the end, just something else along the line.

I have tried it with refresh=60 in both spots of the ini. No joy.

Even with just TSLRCM installed, after I create a character and hit play, the game performance goes really bad. If I'm in windowed mode, it lags up my mouse cursor and I basically have to force restart my PC.

It also did this with just a fresh install of the game, too, and on Win7.

Oddly the game worked fine when I was running integrated graphics, and at has this trouble with my gtx titan :s

I don't really own the game, so I can't help you too much, sorry. I honestly have no idea. I'll look tomorrow at the older edits and see if there's anything I may have gotten wrong or something.

I don't see the point in disabling UAC, couldn't you re-enable it just in case? But I presume you did that.

OK, so - I tested a thing with my CD copy of the game.

Squ1zZy 2.1 exe file is required, as it's the version working with his patch (probably because of the resolution values being stored at specific addressees).

Still, I don't fully get, why both it and Uniws is required for that, since essentially, what Uniws does is replaces bytes with desired resolution value. I'm gonna try to see what exactly Squ1zZy_ResPatcher does.

--EDIT--

OK, so I've placed his file and compare it with a hex editor with a file after changes. Here are the results.

KOTOR2 Squeezy patch

Basically his patcher replaces 2 bytes responsible for width and 2 bytes responsible for height - pretty normal stuff. Oddly enough the original values are for 800x600.

This however raises more questions. Why do we need 2 patchers instead of one?

To keep things straight. Since you brought the patches, first KOTOR and compatibility.

Does the game start after you use Squ1zZy exe and his patch? If so - go to swkotor2.ini and edit Height= and Width= under [Graphics Options] section (although you can edit the ones under [Display Options] as well).

If it requires setting up compatibility - that's odd, because 2.1 version works just fine without tinkering on Windows 7.

The instructions on the wiki say not to use the squizzy patcher, only to download it for the 2.1.0.0 exe, and use uniws. Which is what I've done.

Prior to that, I selected 1280x960 in game, and patched the exe with uniws, as per the instructions on the wiki

The result is the screenshot in my original post. You seem to be handy with this,

Someone changed the previous instrucitons.http://pcgamingwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_–_The_Sith_Lords&oldid=105436#Widescreen_resolution

They were messy before but I swear, I remember getting this thing to work. I have no idea if I ommited something.

I don't remember using any mods.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_–_The_Sith_Lords&oldid=95002#Widescreen_resolution

Edit: My edit didn't save again, blah. Did you ever get this fixed anyway? I didn't look too deeply into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another update on this - Disney/LucasArts have actually patched kotor 2 and it now runs widescreen natively.

"Aspyr in partnership with Disney Interactive and LucasArts is proud to announce STAR WARSâ„¢ Knights of the Old Republicâ„¢ II - The Sith Lordsâ„¢ is now available on Mac and LInux, along with a massive update to all 3 platforms.

New features include:

• 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
• Steam Cloud saves
• Native widescreen resolution support
• Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
• Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation
3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
• Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day

Oh...and we added a "Force Speed Effects" option in the menu ;)"