10 Screenshots

About This File

Description
This program patches out the cinematic border on games from Supermassive Games like The Quarry and The Dark Pictures anthology.
I've only tested on The Quarry and House of Ashes, but it should work on Man of Medan, as well as other and future Supermassive games. Please report if not.
Tested on aspect ratios 4:3, 16:9, 21:9, and 645:4.

Note that the game was developed with these borders in mind, so expect artifacts, like binocular visuals, etc. not covering the entire screen, less optimally placed subtitles, etc.

Usage
Simply run the tool. Once it detects the game, it patches out the border. Needs to be run once on every restart of the game.

tmptmp1.png

tmptmp2.png

tmptmp3.png

tmptmp4.png

tmptmp5.png

tmptmp6.png

tmptmp7.png

tmptmp8.png

tmptmp9.png

tmptmp10.png

What's New in Version 1.4   See changelog

Released

Fixed field of view in 16:9 modes.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Doesn't work for ultrawide monitors. Games detected, it beeps, program closes but nothing happens

TheQuarry-Win64-Shipping_vsShqYLYL3.jpg

TheQuarry-Win64-Shipping_b2eXCyebaf.jpg

Share this comment

11 minutes ago, pho said:

Doesn't work for ultrawide monitors. Games detected, it beeps, program closes but nothing happens

What's your resolution and which resolution does it detect?

Share this comment

It detects the correct resolution 3440x1440

Even version 1.0 and 1.1 detected the game(however you did that magic) but didn't change anything.

3SdL4GAtTu.png

Share this comment

1 hour ago, pho said:

Got the same Issue as Pho sadly i tested it on both my monitors it works on 1080p but on my other 21:9 monitor 2560x1080 it doesn't work. Also worth to mention that the programm closes itself after i start up the game after a beep sound on both monitors so i can't really try the "hold Shift" button to enable bars again.

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, MulleDK19 said:

Hmm. Interesting. Could you try this test build?

SupermassiveGamesBorderRemover_TEST_BUILD.zip 66.37 kB · 0 downloads

Sadly no luck there. Nothing changed. Resolution got's detected, the sound is pinging, success message and the tool closes. Could you even fix that with a hack? The solution is to zoom in the viewport without any UI element(which is 21:9) and not remove any black borders. At least for 21:9

Share this comment

8 minutes ago, pho said:

Sadly no luck there. Nothing changed. Resolution got's detected, the sound is pinging, success message and the tool closes. Could you even fix that with a hack? The solution is to zoom in the viewport without any UI element(which is 21:9) and not remove any black borders. At least for 21:9

Not how it works.

Could you try this? Should make the borders insane. If not, the game does things differently for widescreen resolutions.

SupermassiveGamesBorderRemover_TEST_BUILD2.zip

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, MulleDK19 said:

Are there vertical borders or is that just the screenshot? How is that without the tool?

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest issue. Your mod there changed the horizontal borders as it should, but not the vertical borders (which are added to 21:9).

The game adds letterboxing and pillarboxing to make a 21:9 image in the middle of our 21:9 monitors, it's so silly.

Some more info here: 

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, MulleDK19 said:

Okay, so the base game doesn't support ultra-wide resolutions? Not sure there's much I can do to fix that without making a new tool.

Have you tried the widescreen fix? https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Widescreen_resolution

The base game does support the ultra-wide resolutions, it just adds black bars. Elements, like the loading symbol, are in the letterboxes.

Share this comment

On 6/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, MulleDK19 said:

I may have a fix out in a few hours.

I'm not sure it's an issue with the new version only, but 1.3 decreases the horizontal FOV, so you get a fullscreen image but less FOV, and during gameplay it's much worse, even at 16:9.

I haven't tried the classic UE Hor+ FOV config fix, but I doubt it works with this game, as none of the config changes apply.

Share this comment

Yes, strange. Rose had the same bug in 1.0. 1.3 behaves remarkably similar to Rose's 1.0.

Now that there is a separate 21:9 patch, 16:9 users would be better off going back to 1.2. This can be done via the See ChangeLog button. There you can choose v 1.2 and download it. The virus warnings are false positives.

Share this comment