We need a "dark mode" for the website

Antrad

• 1 month later...

It's weird. I thought PCGW already had a dark theme but I couldn't find it. So I googled it and google took me here. So I guess it never had one? Then what site was I thinking of...?

Yes. PCGW needs a dark theme. I can't believe dark themes are still an afterthought for GUI designers in 2021.

↓ Me using the internet in 2021. ↓

1233003199_guidesignersbelike.png.a536c3827c1aca2d090018e37243c31a.png

↑ Me using the internet in 2005. ↑

3 hours ago, mouse said:

It's weird. I thought PCGW already had a dark theme but I couldn't find it. So I googled it and google took me here. So I guess it never had one? Then what site was I thinking of...?

Yes. PCGW needs a dark theme. I can't believe dark themes are still an afterthought for GUI designers in 2021.

↓ Me using the internet in 2021. ↓

1233003199_guidesignersbelike.png.a536c3827c1aca2d090018e37243c31a.png

↑ Me using the internet in 2005. ↑

Than, as I said before, I recommend using extension Stylus for the web browser. You can find dark themes there for most sites, even custom background themes.
Also you may check out userstyles.world, they have database of stylesheets for variety of websites.

4 minutes ago, blyad said:

Than, as I said before, I recommend using extension Stylus for the web browser. You can find dark themes there for most sites, even custom background themes.
Also you may check out userstyles.world, they have database of stylesheets for variety of websites.

Yep, you definitely said it before. You also said it's for Chrome.

Regardless, a lot of browser extensions that aim to resolve this issue either target only specific sites, or target all sites globally and end up making them all look like trash. So we have to rely on something that's tailor made, or we're left with something that either looks like a mess or blinds us.

Sure, we could install browser extensions, we could turn the brightness way down on our monitors, we could put on some sunglasses, or we could simply stop using the site. But the point is end users shouldn't be the only people trying to solve this issue. Anybody who's recommending browser extensions has missed the point.

2 minutes ago, mouse said:

Yep, you definitely said it before. You also said it's for Chrome.

Regardless, a lot of browser extensions that aim to resolve this issue either target only specific sites, or target all sites globally and end up making them all look like trash. So we have to rely on something that's tailor made, or we're left with something that either looks like a mess or blinds us.

Sure, we could install browser extensions, we could turn the brightness way down on our monitors, we could put on some sunglasses, or we could simply stop using the site. But the point is end users shouldn't be the only people trying to solve this issue. Anybody who's recommending browser extensions has missed the point.

Its not only for Chrome, you can install it on Opera and Fierfox as well.

Many companies don't give a shit about such simple thing as dark mode, even if it takes like 1 hour to make(it took me around ~40 minutes to do dark mode for the main site and forum). They did only one mode so why doing other? What matters is that it just works, and here is where community arrives. For example Google, they didn't make dark mode for they search engine(and most of their websites) on desktop(theres one for Android 10+, maybe IPhones as well idk about that), so community did it for them, and most of them looked like total mess or just didn't work at all, but some of them(especially mine) work absolutely great.

If they don't want to do something, do it yourself.

But you're still right. They should add built-in dark theme.

33 minutes ago, blyad said:

Its not only for Chrome, you can install it on Opera and Fierfox as well.

Many companies don't give a shit about such simple thing as dark mode, even if it takes like 1 hour to make(it took me around ~40 minutes to do dark mode for the main site and forum). They did only one mode so why doing other? What matters is that it just works, and here is where community arrives. For example Google, they didn't make dark mode for they search engine(and most of their websites) on desktop(theres one for Android 10+, maybe IPhones as well idk about that), so community did it for them, and most of them looked like total mess or just didn't work at all, but some of them(especially mine) work absolutely great.

If they don't want to do something, do it yourself.

But you're still right. They should add built-in dark theme.

Yeah they definitely don't give a shit and they definitely should. Especially considering how much money many of them are making.

Take wikipedia for example. They don't have a dark mode and they could absolutely afford it. Here's how much they've made from fundraising. They have to spend a certain percentage of that money or they can't justify having it. That's why every year, they spend more and more money, in such blatantly questionable ways or there's no point in it. But even with all of that frivolous spending, they still won't pay for a dark mode.

I wouldn't even say that userstyles extension is a solution because there isn't one for PCGW. I did a search for it and got no results. And many of the styles on there are for sites that already have a dark mode. Youtube, discord, github, duckduckgo, twitter, and yahoo mail all have a dark mode already. But there is a dark mode style for wikipedia, so that's good at least.

2 minutes ago, mouse said:

Yeah they definitely don't give a shit and they definitely should. Especially considering how much money many of them are making.

Take wikipedia for example. They don't have a dark mode and they could absolutely afford it. Here's how much they've made from fundraising. They have to spend a certain percentage of that money or they can't justify having it. That's why every year, they spend more and more money, in such blatantly questionable ways or there's no point in it. But even with all of that frivolous spending, they still won't pay for a dark mode.

I wouldn't even say that userstyles extension is a solution because there isn't one for PCGW. I did a search for it and got no results. And many of the styles on there are for sites that already have a dark mode. Youtube, discord, github, duckduckgo, twitter, and yahoo mail all have a dark mode already. But there is a dark mode style for wikipedia, so that's good at least.

Well, there is dark theme for PCGW: https://uso.kkx.one/style/203783
I even linked it in pastebin link as an pre-release, now its completed.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...