[Feature Request] Download as PDF

ivadham

Don't like all modern browsers feature a "Print to PDF" or "Save as PDF" option in their printing options (Ctrl+P) ? I'm not saying that it's necessarily the solution, but for occasional printing/exporting to PDF it should be an accessible option already.

You're absolutely right, but here's my point: "Download as PDF" is a neat one-click-to-download solution on Wikipedia, and the beautiful thing about this solution is that regardless of your OS/Browser/Print-Settings, PDF files will always have the same standard layout.

Not sure this is possible. From the looks of things, Wikipedia relies on the Extension:ElectronPdfService (partially outdated info) extension that basically installs Chromium (the core of Google Chrome and modern Microsoft Edge browsers) on the servers and then interfaces with it using a Puppeteer library, as described on the Proton page.

So it's not some simple or minor extension as one might imagine. As a result, it might not be compatible with PCGW's infrastructure at all since we're using a nonstandard setup that has various limitations that might come into play here.

There does appear to be another alternative known as Mpdf which only requires PHP and a few modules for it to work which would be a lot less invasive and completed, though I can't speak for it personally.