Wanna buy new mouse and need some advice \ experiences

aaron03071991

Hey guys and girls

So i have to change my mouse (atm i have Lenovo M800 and damn... what a piece of junk that is...).
I have few requirements:
- must be cable mouse, i really hate wireless
- must be optical mouse, not laser (DPI 800-1200 will be fine)
- 5 buttons
- good reliability
- normal size, nothing "mini"

Any advice what to chose? I play a lot in FPS games, but those are older titles like 1993 Doom, so i don't need fancy 9 999 999 DPI GAMING PRO LED RGB mouse.

Thanks

Do they even make optical mice nowadays still? I usually just goes for a G900 or G902 mouse from Logitech. It's wired and wireless performance is probably the best I've ever used and even its wireless performance beats a ton wired mice I've used over the last decade.

Microsoft is still doing some optical mouse (800-1000 DPI), but only options with 5 buttons are wireless, so that's out.

I had 1 laser mouse from Logitech and it was the biggest crap i ever saw, Logitech MX500 i believe. Mouse had insane jitter, not matter on what surface i tried to use it. Scroll wheel also was skipping, micro switches were clicking 2-3 times when i clicked once (all buttons). I changed it on warranty 3 times, all 3 had the same issues after month or 2, then i gave up and took my money back. Never again Logitech.

Atm i have Lenovo M800 (laser, wired) and after 2 years laser have insane jitter, extremely annoying when i play in 640x480 in PrBoom+ (yes i applied MarkC fix for mouse acceleration).

That's why i mention i don't want some fancy laser pro led rgb mouse as each time i try and buy one of those - they are terrible.

A simple wired optical mouse with 5 buttons, that's all i need and ask for.

Check out some Zalman mice too. They are sturdy in their design and manufacturing and come with some nice features (reinforced cables, ferrite beads, etc). Their prices aren't Razer-ridiculous either.

I've been using the ZALMAN ZM-M401R for years myself and I've gotta say they are sturdy and reliable. And by using I mean Unreal Tournament/strategy games intensive use, not some easy clicking games

6 minutes ago, Bambacha said:

Check out some Zalman mice too. They are sturdy in their design and manufacturing and come with some nice features (reinforced cables, ferrite beads, etc). Their prices aren't Razer-ridiculous either.

I've been using the ZALMAN ZM-M401R for years myself and I've gotta say they are sturdy and reliable. And by using I mean Unreal Tournament/strategy games intensive use, not some easy clicking games

You buy me with UT, definitely gonna check their offer.

Edit:
Bambacha i owe you a beer, good beer. ZM-M201R is exactly what i was searching for. Optical, 1000 DPI, 5 buttons, wired, not small nor too large, just perfect.

Thank you very very much. ♥

8 hours ago, Aemony said:

Do they even make optical mice nowadays still?

When I was searching for a mouse 2-3 years ago people recommended optical mouse, not laser, so they still make those. If you go to Razer website their mouse seem to use optical sensor.

14 hours ago, aaron03071991 said:

I had 1 laser mouse from Logitech and it was the biggest crap i ever saw, Logitech MX500 i believe.

MX500 released in 2002 was an optical mouse, and Logitech first introduced "the world's first laser mouse" in 2004 with the MX1000, so you're probably thinking of some other model.

5 hours ago, Antrad said:

When I was searching for a mouse 2-3 years ago people recommended optical mouse, not laser, so they still make those. If you go to Razer website their mouse seem to use optical sensor.

I am surprised that people would recommend optical mice as I can't imagine any specific reason why they would be somehow "better" than laser mice. As for Razer, I typically keep away from their products as they have a history of being too costly for what usually ends up being of low quality.

Looking into it, I did find this fluff piece on HP's Tech Takes to be illuminating (pun intended): Optical vs Laser Mouse: Which is the Best Mouse for Gaming? The blog post basically boils it down to be a matter more of the underlying hardware, and not the sensor itself.

Personally I use Logitech's G900 or G903 mice myself (own three copies, one for home, one for laptop, and one for work) configured to 1600 DPI and 250 Hz polling and they have served me extremely well over the last years. I used to use other mice from other manufacturers such as e.g. Razer, ASUS (rebranded mice for other manufacturers, such as e.g. HP), Func (later renamed Fnatic), SteelSeries, Microsoft, etc, but recently found myself back to Logitech again after more than a decade away.

The original Logitech MX518 was a god damn amazing mice, but the main reasons I ended up going for the G900/G903 mice was because of its wireless performance (it reaches and even beats many wired mice in regards to input delay) and the infinite scroll wheel, and those purchases haven't failed me yet.

24 minutes ago, Aemony said:

MX500 released in 2002 was an optical mouse, and Logitech first introduced "the world's first laser mouse" in 2004 with the MX1000, so you're probably thinking of some other model.

I am surprised that people would recommend optical mice as I can't imagine any specific reason why they would be somehow "better" than laser mice. As for Razer, I typically keep away from their products as they have a history of being too costly for what usually ends up being of low quality.

Looking into it, I did find this fluff piece on HP's Tech Takes to be illuminating (pun intended): Optical vs Laser Mouse: Which is the Best Mouse for Gaming? The blog post basically boils it down to be a matter more of the underlying hardware, and not the sensor itself.

Personally I use Logitech's G900 or G903 mice myself (own three copies, one for home, one for laptop, and one for work) configured to 1600 DPI and 250 Hz polling and they have served me extremely well over the last years. I used to use other mice from other manufacturers such as e.g. Razer, ASUS (rebranded mice for other manufacturers, such as e.g. HP), Func (later renamed Fnatic), SteelSeries, Microsoft, etc, but recently found myself back to Logitech again after more than a decade away.

The original Logitech MX518 was a god damn amazing mice, but the main reasons I ended up going for the G900/G903 mice was because of its wireless performance (it reaches and even beats many wired mice in regards to input delay) and the infinite scroll wheel, and those purchases haven't failed me yet.

I really don't remember model number, it was somewhere between 2009 and 2012, it was Logitech, it was laser gaming mouse, shape like mx500.

DPI is the answer - Optical (red led) have smaller DPI, laser (no visible light) have DPI up the roof bcs marketing. You could think higher DPI is better but... More DPI = more data to transfer trough mouse CCD and mouse internal CPU. While mouse CPUs can handle that without problem, CCD is "bottleneck". With those super high DPI, CCD picks up a lot of invalid data.

Think about it like about camera with really crappy CCD (1.3 MPix), doesn't matter how good light you have, if you move during doing picture, you will get garbage. Sure there is picture stabilization, and CPUs in mice use that. But when it comes to mice its more like trying to rescue burning house with bucket of water, will help but not much.

That's why some ppl prefer optical instead laser, lower DPI = less garbage data = no jitter.

You know, HP which is producing mice wont have their bias in the middle, i mean, ofc they will glorify laser which is in their products, bcs they can put bigger price on it. Sure, 16K DPI looks fantastic on the box, super marketing, but show me at least 1 person who plays games with DPI above 5000. Heck, most ppl stop way below 3000.

I started with some BTC ball mouse, had scroll wheel, PS/2 connector, then i had A4Tech optical wireless mouse - was ok besides being wireless (battery made it heave af). Next was some A4Tech gaming optical wired mouse, served me well for many years. After that i had 3 mice of Logitech, all 3 were the same model, laser and gaming - i said never again Logitech, time for Microsoft - optical, wired, 5 buttons - was perfect. Atm Lenovo M800 - jitter like bloody hell...

I don't say wireless can't be good, but i wouldn't trust so much in Logitech, HP, ASUS, etc etc numbers - it's marketing. In my case wireless is a big no no bcs after 10-12 hours of work as an electrician i don't wanna drag heavy mouse bcs it have battery inside.

Anyway, subject is pretty much closed as Bambacha show me Zalman mice, i pick ZM-M201R which is wired optical 1000 DPI with 5 buttons mouse, already ordered (fun part was that yesterday english page didn't show me mice at all, had to switch to korean), so i guess this forum subject can be closed.

Thank you guys for time spent on this subject and writing replies with personal experiences.

• 6 months later...