What are you playing?

Andytizer

I finally managed to finish Max Payne 3. High budget, lovely graphics, fun game, good shooting. A lot of cutscenes, but I believe these were used to help mask loading times between areas (and helps to explain why the game is a whopping 30GB which I'll be glad to get rid of). I tried a bout of the multiplayer but it felt pretty bad, lacked pacing and seemed to take ages between respawn timer finishing, and then actually respawning in the game.

Max Payne 3 article is pretty much complete. I would like to do some more documentation with Rockstar Social Club by comparing notes with GTAIV and LA Noire, or if someone wonderful can do this that would great :). Need to test controller support, and then I can delete.

Next game.. I may try Batman: Arkham Asylum. I did play a bit of it on release but was too annoyed by GFWL implementation. Of course those previous savegames are now lost to the ether. I wonder if savegames are Mac/Windows cross-compatible, will try to test this.

Titan Quest, it's adequate.

Gravity Rush. I'm enjoying it.

Killzone Shadowfall: Boring and inconsequential but pretty

In a world of Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Torchlight II and Path of Exile there's hardly a reason to play Titan Quest anymore. I certainly found it not nearly as good as Diablo 2 which it tried to emulate.

How's the PS4?

Been getting back into Supreme Commander recently. Huge fan of the RTS genre - one aspect I hate is that if you just spam units you automatically win - this is applicable for most RTS but it really should be rectified, it's near impossible to win against normal AI just playing strategically/tactically as they will eventually send every unit they have over to you and wipe you out instantaneously. If you somehow manage to defend then they'll keep sending twice as many as they previously sent meaning that you can't hope to fully defend yourself solely via structures.

I gave Planetary Annihilation a bit of a whirl but I hate how you were always exposed in every direction, unless you fortified the entirety of your base you would get flanked where there is no defense. Meaning again that spam units = win. Maybe it's not like that as I haven't given it enough of a chance but I intend to dive back into it at a later stage when it's a bit more stable as I'm having performance issues with the beta.

How's the PS4?

All things considered I'm enjoying it. Killzone is a good tech demo, but a boring game. Knack is OK. (It feels a bit like going back and playing Crash Bandicoot 1 after Playing Crash Bandicoot 3. More difficult and a bit less fun than perhaps I was expecting). Assassin's Creed 4 plays exactly like you'd expect and looks good (I don't have the last gen version to compare it to though) Need for Speed Rivals is an absolute blast the very little I've played of it. Resogun is fun, and Contrast looks intriguging.

Not a knockout set of launch games, but they do fine. I can't wait for Infamous. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Heroes of Might & Magic III - whatever happens I always get back to this game. It's just the closest thing to the perfect game.

Trine 2 - Still fun in coop, although I know all maps by heart.

Spectraball - Steam Roulett choose this one. Nice, little, short.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing tons of FTL lately, and I've finally managed to beat the game on Hard mode using The Shrike ship (one of the new Advanced Edition race ships). I love how that ship allows you to start with a teleport/mind control combo at the beginning as it makes for a killer raiding party combination. The key to winning on the Shrike is to pick up a Drone Control with a defense drone to shoot down incoming missiles, and then you are basically invincible.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread! What I've been playing:

Katana Zero
Really enjoyed this game. Reminded me a lot of Hotline Miami, both in terms of the story and gameplay. Plot-wise, it was an interesting psychological experience with some predictable twists and turns. Gameplay is also similar to Hotline Miami in that it is one-hit kill action that you can repeat instantly as soon as you make a mistake. Similar as well is how frantic it gets - you can clear a whole level except for the last enemy, who might behave unpredictably and then get a lucky hit and you have to restart the entire section again. Great game!

Apex Legends
I've been playing this game since launch, and it's the only real Battle Royale game I actually like (compared to Fornite/PUBG which I bounced right off). Was fairly addicted to this game and would spend significant amounts of time outside of gaming watching players like Shroud play the game on YouTube. However I haven't really touched it for the last few weeks so it's definitely lost some allure for me and it reminds me that competitive multiplayer games can be quite a timesink and you don't necesarily take that much away from them when you are done. Reminds me to complete more of my single-player backlog!

The Outer Worlds
I wasn't initially going to try this but after consuming all the reviews promising a Fallout: New Vegas-type experience I had to try it. For me it's more similar to Mass Effect than anything else. I'm around halfway through the game and enjoying the experience. The game feels extremely polished and I haven't experienced a single bug. Presentation, graphics and sound are fantastic. Combat feels janky especially the enemy AI and animations and the combat is really easy and boring so far, even though I didn't spec into a heavy combat character. I hate how in these games the NPCs are all posed naturally but as soon as combat starts they're all running around in really unnatural and game-y ways and there's no strategy, intelligence or naturality to the characters.

Another problem I think is the pacing which is way too fast for some things. For example there's a character who you can use dialogue checks to convince them to give up their leadership position in lieu of killing them. It just goes from 'I'm going to kill you' to 'I better give up everything without a fight' within a single dialogue check which is way too sudden. Similarly there is a romance between a companion and an NPC which just feels like it happens way too fast, it feels jarring.

Gaming just hasn't been interesting me lately. I resorted to playing Dead Rising after all these years of being frustrated with the timer when I was younger. I played it somewhat casually while listening to music and finally getting all the survivors with the best ending. I succeeded and am now back at square one.

Been playing NieR RepliCant and finished the 1st part. Up until now, it's been a solid experience. I'm still curious where the story ends up in but it has an amazing soundtrack, stereotypical Japanese characters and the game-play is not fantastic but serves its purpose well.

8 hours ago, TheSteelStallion said:

Gaming just hasn't been interesting me lately. I resorted to playing Dead Rising after all these years of being frustrated with the timer when I was younger. I played it somewhat casually while listening to music and finally getting all the survivors with the best ending. I succeeded and am now back at square one.

This happens to a lot of gamers, it sounds like you need to take a break from gaming for a bit and explore other hobbies. You may find that you enjoy games more when you have some time apart. 

6 hours ago, Unrul3r said:

Been playing NieR RepliCant and finished the 1st part. Up until now, it's been a solid experience. I'm still curious where the story ends up in but it has an amazing soundtrack, stereotypical Japanese characters and the game-play is not fantastic but serves its purpose well.

Do you intend to play the slightly broken PC sequel or play it on console? 

• Andytizer featured this topic
  • 1 year later...