Spec Ops: The Line - lot of goodies in 'SREngine.ini'

I found a lot of undocumented tweaks in Spec Ops: The Line's config files, you can disable bloom and motion blur for example. I may add the information to article at some point, or someone else will.

Edited by ThatOneReaper
Requested by OP

MODS: Please remove the code from this post, I can't do it currently. The forum software can't apparently handle long strings of text, I should have use a plain text hosting service. My browser is prone to crashing on this page.

MODS: Please remove the code from this post, I can't do it currently. The forum software can't apparently handle long strings of text, I should have use a plain text hosting service. My browser is prone to crashing on this page.

Done. If you want to share huge chunks of text temporarily next time, use Pastebin.

As for adding the tweaks to the article, I would recommend either using instructions to modify the required lines (assuming it's just a few) or upload to the Files section the modified config file.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the full list of tweaks that come out of this.

​I recommend disabling the following options, all are enabled by default:

​AllowRadialBlur=False
​MotionBlur=False
MotionBlurPause=False
DepthOfField=False

​I tried disabling bloom, but it seems to remove also the light shafts and the game looks relatively bland as a result. But lens flare is an effect many people dislike:

​LensFlares=False

​I don't know exactly what "distortion" does in Spec Ops, may be related to heat haze:

​

Distortion=True
FilteredDistortion=True​

More interesting stuff:

​[Engine.PhysicsLODVerticalDestructible]
MaxDynamicChunkCount=1000
DebrisLifetime=60.0

SRGame.ini:

​[Engine.DecalManager]
DecalLifeSpan=10.0

I'd like to prevent the bodies from disappearing, or at least to extend to delay. Dead enemies often evaporate right after being killed.

​----

​

​I was surprised that these tweaks haven't been documented before, at least not in one place. Everything can be found in `SREngine.ini` file.

​There's also a great guide on Steam.

• 1 month later...

​Oh, the config files contained stock Unreal Engine 3 stuff. I managed to turn my character transparent. The game is a bit dull and only a couple of hours long, I don't have much interest in the title anymore.

This is really that kind of random documentation effort that would better fit talk pages. e.g.

You should check the game for actual changes though, before claiming the variables are even in use.

EDIT: also check this about UE3 and post processing in general

This is really that kind of random documentation effort that would better fit talk pages. e.g.

You should check the game for actual changes though, before claiming the variables are even in use.

EDIT: also check this about UE3 and post processing in general

​I did check that the "recommended" tweaks work, I also captured comparison screenshots.

​The link doesn't take my directly to any message, but If you mean Bonkers' longer post - yes, I have read it.