Availability Steam DRM

Garrett

I am reviving this subject as a new topic since the previous discussion went more into the status of Steam as DRM rather than the ways of representing this information on the wiki.

I would prefer an ID distinction over the current use of the standard DRM-free ID since Steam can introduce some additional caveats (e.g. Steam DLLs attempting to launch Steam) that are not present with services that allow downloading the game directly.

I have made a basic example of one solution at User:Garrett/Availability/sandbox. Such an implementation retains both the requirement of the client for installation and the lack of the client requirement for subsequent gameplay. The ID would then links to an explanation of that type.

I am reviving this subject as a new topic since the previous discussion went more into the status of Steam as DRM rather than the ways of representing this information on the wiki.

This is true as it doesn't matter is Steam DRM or not. If you are person who wants to take their steam games with USB drive and play them on computer without permissions to install programs for example, you only care about that can you do that. 

I like that, but what exactly is wrong with mention in the availability table? Sure it's bloat, but not as much as the platform stuff was before on old wiki.

At least I have bumped into few cases where people want to share this information somehow, usually by adding DRM-Free in the DRM section and then someone comes over and simply changes it into Steam without noting or reffing anything. I actually though for a while that DRM-Free icon was OK to use as some changed my steam icons to DRM-Free ones. This does give easier standard to express that game can be run without Steam on the machine. Note section has been used, but this is better solution even in my eyes. 

This also makes it much easier to compare and link between with list of DRM-Free titles on Steam.

I meant the notes section of course. The old DRM-free icon is silly since there are some that'd argue even downloaders are DRM so I like this new DRM-free Steam icon.

I would prefer an ID distinction over the current use of the standard DRM-free ID since Steam can introduce some additional caveats (e.g. Steam DLLs attempting to launch Steam) that are not present with services that allow downloading the game directly.

Those additional caveats (if I got what you meant) are indeed part of steam DRM, and should be considered as such.

And the previous discussion went more into the status of Steam as DRM exactly to have a rationale on which base the wiki representation over.

Those additional caveats (if I got what you meant) are indeed part of steam DRM, and should be considered as such.

So there are two situations. First one is completely DRM-Free, so if you try opening game outside Steam, it opens by itself without hooking into Steam.

Then there are those which check for Steam and if it's running, they use it, but if running Steam can't be found, they open up and play just fine. Some devs opt to do this so steamworks features like achievements, cloud, cards, multiplayer, game time calculator, etc. This is the same level of "Optional DRM" that e.g. GOG Galaxy offers. At that point it's technically DRM, but in practise, it's only used for players benefit. 

But in both cases, if you put the game files on USB and go to play on computer without Steam at all, they both work without any restrictions. 

The "Steam DRM" type Cyanic describes is built into the main executable (the same goes for Valve's CEG DRM). Some games don't use either of Valve's DRM methods and are simply checking for the integration DLLs on startup; if the DLLs are missing games may fail with an error at this point while others will continue working if the DLLs are missing. See The Big List of DRM-Free Games on Steam for some examples of games that work this way.

Then there are those which check for Steam and if it's running, they use it, but if running Steam can't be found, they open up and play just fine.

Oh, so that's what you meant.

In this case I think we should appeal to previous discussion, more precisely here. There is where I argue what's the DRM definition we would have better to stick with.

In case some pissed administrator was reading this, I swear:

it's all easier when you are not confronting with somebody that claim few is the same of none.

And in turn use this equality to motivate the nonexistence of even those few.

And refuse for three times what had been acknowledge in the posts before.

EDIT:

if the DLLs are missing games may fail with an error at this point while others will continue working if the DLLs are missing.

It seems pretty evident imo, this should indeed be the separating line.

In first case we should just point to steam being DRM (but no mentioning to the actual very "Steam DRM")

In the second one, it seems pretty much the same of GOG galaxy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[Automated] This discussion has concluded and a verdict has been reached. If this is not the case and there are still matters left undiscussed please contact a member of staff to get the topic reinstated.