Cheats, Save Games, and Save Game Syncing

Jeth Calark

There seems to be no guide or template on how to implement cheats for a game article. Could a simple two pane box template be made for them? Left pane for the cheat; right pane for the description of what it does?

Also, the templates for save game locations and save game syncing are rather bare and lacking. Very uninformative on all the different cells they use compared to the template for availability which shows all the possible entries.

Cheats and other non-fix content are not included on PCGamingWiki at this point in time (unless they double as a fix).

I have added a usage description to Template:Game Location Table. It can't really have specific parameters since games vary so widely in this area.

I've updated Template:Save Game Cloud Syncing to include standard parameters for the services currently covered on the wiki. Pages with the previous implementation continue working as-is. I deliberately omitted Dropbox because it doesn't have any game support (so is best covered on the general save game cloud syncing page along with various similar services).

I think cheat codes are a reasonable thing to add, though they really only ever appear in older games nowadays. As for other types of cheats, do you mean mods or just console commands, because we already cover both of those. Auto-aim and mods of that nature, however, are probably not an acceptable thing to add as they generally ruin the experience for others rather than improving it.

• 5 months later...

I think cheats should be included, although they may not assist in helping someone get the game working or provide anything technical they are still worthy enough to include under other information providing they are properly condensed and not overly long. An article should be a factual and relevant source for a game, cheats are typically scattered across websites and sometimes even fake so having one area where they are listed alongside other relevant information would go a long way to improving the quality of the article. This is completely open for discussion though, I understand the points on both sides of the argument.

I think people will definitely come here looking for cheats. GTA V, for example, is a popular game with cheats and once it gets ported it will likely have cheats on PC as well.

I think we could put it in a table under "Other information" with the columns "Input" and "Output".

A misunderstanding of mine (based off some old, untouched article) was what made me initially assume we listed cheats. Logically, however, I don't want them included unless they are needed to help the game run.

I don't like the idea of listing cheats here since this isn't within the wiki's scope (except when they double as fixes). If it's really necessary I think it would be better to link to some external site.

• 2 weeks later...

As I have had some time to think about this I'm going to change my stance towards this, I'm not exactly in favor of it any more but I'm not sure if I'm opposed yet either. They can definitely be useful to add but then again they are most likely listed plentifully elsewhere meaning this just becomes redundant, since the wiki mainly focuses on the technical aspects of a title this most likely doesn't deserve a place. My official stance will be opposed to this, I'm all in favor of reducing the amount of redundant data on an article.

I'll leave this open for awhile to allow for further discussion (most likely needs it) but if there is no counter-argument then I will opt to remove all cheats and references to such cheats in the sample article, this may seem drastic but I'm really not sure how they could benefit a user anymore. They most likely go here for technical information instead of something arbitrary like in-game cheat codes that are referenced on plenty of other websites. Regarding my other argument saying they could be fake, this isn't very likely anymore since I imagine they're tested before being added to any credible cheat code resource.

EDIT: As this has not been contested I have taken the liberty of following through with it. I left it open for an adequate amount of time and there has been no counter-argument since so from this point on, unless further discussion is held, cheats should be removed and at the very most referenced instead. This isn't to be confused with the enabling of cheats or consoles where cheats are inputted, these can stay as it's still relevant but lists/tables listing cheats should be removed. Regarding save games and save games cloud syncing there is not enough information to warrant any changes regarding this - please make another discussion if this is still outstanding with more detail and specific changes.

• 3 weeks later...

[Automated] This discussion has concluded and a verdict has been reached. If this is not the case and there are still matters left undiscussed please contact a member of staff to get the topic reinstated.