Marketing ideas

Andytizer

Traffic and contribution levels have been excellent for the site over the last 2 months. In fact, the Kickstarter seems to have brought about a renewed interest in the project. However, it's always good to try and reach out even more. After all, the more people who know about it, the more potential editors we'll get.

What we've done..

game giveaways

forum linking

comment linking

RPS The Fixer column

Kickstarter

tweeting TotalBiscuit

Would love to hear any more ideas if you've got any :).

Aside from actual advertising (which costs money), I think the important way to get traffic here is to be recognized by the official game communities. For instance, on Civ V's support forum, there's a sticky link here. I think that's a big help. We need the community to associate us with game fixes. Visibility on those forums and sites is important. This is already happening, of course.

Any media attention, even if it's something minor is good. Any way to get more attention from online and print magazines?

Edit: Do you think you could arrange some interviews with game magazines and newspapers? PC Gamer and EGM seem like good candidates. Once nice thing with those, if the article specifically relates to a game, it's featured news on Steam's game hubs. At least PC Gamer is. Shows up in the main library page for the game.

Along with the ones suggested above have you tried contacting the Penny Arcade Report? He (or they? I don't know if they've hired anyone new) may be interested in interviewing you.

I think posting "Can you help us improve the article on PCGW?" to various forums related to different games may be a good idea. For example you could protect or partially protect the Realm of the Mad God page (to avoid griefing), post it to the Wolfire RotMG forums, and have people contribute to the Talk page and then a mod or some designated editor can add things to the page.

This would contribute to the completion of the wiki and also advertisement.

• 2 weeks later...

Coverage on the big PC gaming websites would do wonders. Problem is, you either need to do something to get them to write an article or pay for advertising and both of those seem difficult. Try to get deeply embedded into PC gaming culture, to the point where people will say "I'm having issues with x/y/z game" and others will reply "stfu and go to the pcgw."

We could probably create a bot that scours comments on gaming blogs and replies "STFU go to PCGW" with a link.

Have you tried contacting Destructoid? They seem to have a really friendly staff and may be willing to talk to you.

I'm actually in the middle of writing something for RPS for this weekend, so that front is covered.

It'll be worth going back to Kotaku and Destructoid I suppose, as they have written about the site before when it was just started.

We could probably create a bot that scours comments on gaming blogs and replies "STFU go to PCGW" with a link.

Have you tried contacting Destructoid? They seem to have a really friendly staff and may be willing to talk to you.

Can we make STFU go to PCGW our motto?

• 4 weeks later...

Can we make STFU go to PCGW our motto?

Not sure this is the right tone we want for our motto :D.