Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE

About This File

Official installation files for Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE. This package contains the last version of the Marketplace client (3.5.67.0) and the last version of the Redistributable (3.5.95.0).

Uninstall the Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace client and the Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable (if either is installed), then extract all files and run gfwlivesetup.exe. After the installation is finished just launch a GFWL title and the in-game overlay and usual sign-in prompt will appear in the game. The first sign-in for a game tend to take quite some time and the process might seem to be stuck for 5-10 minutes before completion.

Please note that the included Marketplace client is no longer functioning as of 2022. 

This package contains the following official downloads packaged together for convenience:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Dude you REALLY saved my life, can't thank you enough. I just downloaded the zip file on my pc, downloaded the wizard, and the game runned on the first attempt. I've had this issue for the longest and now I can finally play. Thanks.

Share this comment

I just registered to thank you. This is a life-saver. Worked like a charm. Fallout 3 instantly started on max stats and everything fine.

Share this comment

Doesn't work as of August 2022. Microsoft ditched this app completely in favor of the Xbox app. It's utterly useless in the latest versions of Windows 10 Pro.

Share this comment

17 hours ago, wr1ll14m said:

Doesn't work as of August 2022. Microsoft ditched this app completely in favor of the Xbox app. It's utterly useless in the latest versions of Windows 10 Pro.

Can you elaborate what you mean? I just tried the install and GFWL in a game and confirmed it worked fine.

I did notice that the Marketplace client is fully dead nowadays, though it can be ignored since it haven't really worked the last few years anyway (you could sign in to the client but couldn't actually download anything through it).

I've updated both the file description here and the wiki article to clarify that point, as well as how the first login to a game can take 5-10 minutes before it completes.

Share this comment

Can someone please help with a workaround to this? only thing stopping me from playing my game 😞 thank you in advance! 😄  (To clarify, sign in assistant was removed and is unavailable to update)

image.thumb.png.e3d55f2d831584adb1eba91ab91eac70.png

Share this comment

7 hours ago, pleasehelp said:

Can someone please help with a workaround to this? only thing stopping me from playing my game 😞 thank you in advance! 😄  (To clarify, sign in assistant was removed and is unavailable to update)

image.thumb.png.e3d55f2d831584adb1eba91ab91eac70.png

Trying to run the Client itself is useless, as the Marketplace is no longer online. You must just install it, and then run your game. It should log in correctly. Both vanilla SF4 and SFxTK are working fine here.

Share this comment

Apologies, nevermind, I had the game installed and just had to uninstall/reinstall the game and reinstall the client prior to playing, through the setup process I learned the button to press is "Home", thanks again for your assistance ! 😄

Share this comment

On 12/15/2022 at 1:17 AM, 123george34 said:

please help 

I can't recreate this issue, sadly, as the gfwlivesetup installer works just fine for me.

That said, all that the gfwlivesetup installer technically does is run the separate installers one by one. You can install the package by just doing that manually as well, so run xliveredistgfwlclient, and I think wllogin_64 manually.

Note that the GFWL Marketplace client does not actually work nowadays, so even though it's being installed it's otherwise useless.

Share this comment

11 hours ago, Unknown said:

I keep getting this old school error message when I enter the serial key.

db04becc-6a6b-42cc-88b2-45d3151aa4b1.jpg

There's probably a lot of different reasons why you get that -- it's sadly quite a challenge to troubleshoot. What I can mention is a few of them:

• You might need a separate "app password" for your Microsoft Account to be able to sign in to GFWL if you have two-factor authentication set up, as GFWL services predates those security measures and so is not compatible with them.
  • I believe GFWL's services might have issues with longer passwords, so you might need a shorter one (less than 20 characters probably) for it to work.
  • It's also possible it doesn't support passwords with non-Latin characters (e.g. Nordic/German characters with accents/diatrics on them, Asian characters, etc).

Share this comment

Is something with the service messed up now? It seems a few users including myself are getting error 0x8007065b (Can't connect to LIVE) when trying to sign in/download profile on Fable III. I know my login info is correct, and I'm signed in to my account on my PC and the Xbox app.

Share this comment

Could anyone help? I want to play Street Fighter 4 but I keep getting the "connection error" when I initiate Windows Live. Does anyone know how to fix this? 

Share this comment

I can connect, but I can't authenticate...

"Windows Live ID you entered does not exist or your password is incorrect."

Someone can confirm is this still working?

I tried a shorter password and a app password, but that is a no go...

Share this comment

On 4/16/2023 at 7:06 AM, Aemony said:

There's probably a lot of different reasons why you get that -- it's sadly quite a challenge to troubleshoot. What I can mention is a few of them:

• You might need a separate "app password" for your Microsoft Account to be able to sign in to GFWL if you have two-factor authentication set up, as GFWL services predates those security measures and so is not compatible with them.
  • I believe GFWL's services might have issues with longer passwords, so you might need a shorter one (less than 20 characters probably) for it to work.
  • It's also possible it doesn't support passwords with non-Latin characters (e.g. Nordic/German characters with accents/diatrics on them, Asian characters, etc).

GFWL worked for me last time I tried in June 2022 (last time I unlocked achievements on a GFWL game) but now on GTA IV and Kane and Lynch: Dead Men, I just can't get past the "The profile could not be signed in to LIVE." error message while trying tons of app passwords and Microsoft account aliases. Oh well time for xliveless I guess. 

Share this comment

On 8/22/2022 at 1:56 AM, wr1ll14m said:

Essayer de diriger le client lui-même est inutile, car le Marketplace n'est plus en ligne. Vous devez simplement l'installer, et ensuite faire fonctionner votre jeu. Il doit se connecter correctement. La vanille SF4 et la SFxTK fonctionnent bien ici.

we can't download the market place anymore so HOW CAN I PLAY GTA IV ??!!!!

Share this comment