Suggesting a "Help Out" Section

Nicereddy

Hello everyone!

Currently, there is no easy way on this wiki to find pages that may need improvement other than looking through a large list of articles labelled as stubs/cleanups. I'd like to suggest a "Help Out" page, preferably listed on the sidebar or prominently on the front page, that is based on Wikipedia's Help Out page. It would be similar, but with only two sections (unless more are suggested), those being "Stubs" and "Cleanups".

I was wondering if the moderators would be willing to keep this page up to date, it could be partially moderated by a bot. Mods would add pages manually but once a "stub" or "cleaup" tag is deleted the bot would automatically delete the article from the page. Due to the small userbase it probably wouldn't need to be updated more than once every one to two days.

Recommendations for the priority of games put onto the page would be helpful. Possibly based on view count, recently released, or incredibly poor quality (e.g. uses an older version of the template, has no sources, or has poor grammar/formatting).

Suggestions are very much appreciated.

EDIT: A category called "Help Out" to point out articles that very badly need improvement may be a good idea. Quantum Conundrum being a good example.

Hello everyone!

Currently, there is no easy way on this wiki to find pages that may need improvement other than looking through a large list of articles labelled as stubs/cleanups. I'd like to suggest a "Help Out" page, preferably listed on the sidebar or prominently on the front page, that is based on Wikipedia's Help Out page. It would be similar, but with only two sections (unless more are suggested), those being "Stubs" and "Cleanups".

I was wondering if the moderators would be willing to keep this page up to date, it could be partially moderated by a bot. Mods would add pages manually but once a "stub" or "cleaup" tag is deleted the bot would automatically delete the article from the page. Due to the small userbase it probably wouldn't need to be updated more than once every one to two days.

Recommendations for the priority of games put onto the page would be helpful. Possibly based on view count, recently released, or incredibly poor quality (e.g. uses an older version of the template, has no sources, or has poor grammar/formatting).

Suggestions are very much appreciated.

EDIT: A category called "Help Out" to point out articles that very badly need improvement may be a good idea. Quantum Conundrum being a good example.

Good suggestion. Really, cleanup should be the priority, as poorly laid out pages reflect on the site poorly.

I've done some preliminary work here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home/Help_out

I'm not sure how to improve it or to integrate it into the Home page.

Currently, Home page is laid out into 5 individual horizontal rows in 3 columns.

I am thinking of redoing the Home page layout again(!) into a 3 column layout, but where the third right-hand column is not fixed to the rows of the left two columns. The right hand column might be a better home for long lists.

Thanks for this. I'm just going to leave this on hold for a little while before we implement on the Home page.

My thought is to make some more adjustments to the Home page.. happy to hear suggestions.

I'd recommend making a separate post in the Announcements forum to ask for suggestions since this is a pretty big change.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Get rid of the Kickstarter since it's over

2) Keep Recent Changes at the bottom

3) Make the Initiative a full-time section (though probably a bit smaller). Once the Humble Bundle Initiative is over maybe we can have a new one? A Digital Distribution Initiative, perhaps.

4) I really like the XKCD (read the comic every day), but I'm not sure it's necessary to have it on the front page. I'd think about replacing it.

5) A "Manual" Box. Include a LARGE link to a new page called "Getting Started" or "Getting Started on PCGamingWiki". Most newcomers don't seem to know about the sample article or rules and it's hurting the quality. You can also include the "Help Out" link in it, among other things.

6) I'm not sure the Twitter box is important enough to keep. The only time I'd think to really use it would be if the website was offline, and if the website was offline then I couldn't reach it through the website. That's completely up to you though.