[Suggestion] Input Settings - adding default controls

Kossak

I think it would be useful if we could add screenshot(s) with all default controls to section "Input Settings", in similar way the "Video Settings" has screenshot with settings from the game. Sometimes i see people on the forums (including myself) looking for default keys and also sometimes there are steam guides with it.

What do you think?

Controls can tend to span on depending on the game - which is why I don't tend to include any screenshots of controls unless it's one page, the average article would be increased in length significantly if we did this as standard (especially with how different games have different menu styles typically including scroll bars making the capturing process time consuming) so I'll have to be opposed unless there's a better method to incorporate them into articles. Perhaps instead of screenshots, a collapsible table might be a good route to go?

you need default keys only if you have a game and you don't know what are the commands

but if you own the game then, you'll only need to look into the settings and you are done

My few thoughts:

Controls can tend to span on depending on the game - which is why I don't tend to include any screenshots of controls unless it's one page

Yes, we would have to make few screenshots and ideally merge them into one image.

the average article would be increased in length significantly if we did this as standard (especially with how different games have different menu styles typically including scroll bars making the capturing process time consuming) so I'll have to be opposed unless there's a better method to incorporate them into articles. Perhaps instead of screenshots, a collapsible table might be a good route to go?

The article length wouldn't be changed at all, because we can present the picture as a thumbnail on the right side of Input Settings (similar to Video Settings). Whoever wants to see the controls will just click the thumbnail. Collapsible table would be much longer to make than few screenshots i think.

you need default keys only if you have a game and you don't know what are the commands

Not only. By looking at the keys, you can get to know what actions you can do in the game (before buying it), for example if you have the possibility to lean in FPS, or if movement is only WASD or more like 20 keys for just moving your body like in Arma.

but if you own the game then, you'll only need to look into the settings and you are done

Nope. I always change my keys so i won't know default keys by looking at my options in the game. And sometimes when i try different setups with controls i need to know the placement of default keys. Then i look them on the internet, because PCGW doesn't have it, and i find them quite often in steam guides.

I feel like you're a very limited use case. It'd be a nice feature to have, and I don't think adding it to pages if you want to would be an issue, but making it standard would be a lot of work for minimal benefit.

• 4 weeks later...

As there has been no further discussion I am going to wrap this up, it's simply not worthwhile to include default keybinds if they span over one page. This requires editing to merge together and takes too long, having a collapsible table is something we may still consider in the future if there's enough demand but for now we'll opt out of including keybinds unless they're strictly one page. I've seen plenty of games that have options of resetting to default controls so this isn't really a good argument to justify including them.

[Automated] This discussion has concluded and a verdict has been reached. If this is not the case and there are still matters left undiscussed please contact a member of staff to get the topic reinstated.