VR settings template

Garrett

Following the suggestion in Expanding controller support fields for a VR-type template I've made a sample implementation, Development:VR settings.

This template integrates ratings from Meant to be Seen's GameGrade3D, much like WSGF; game names are supplied rather than URLs since GameGrade3D does not have permalinks. Medal generation is handled by Development:GG3D (again very similar to Template:WSGF); everything works but there are no images yet.

VR-type input devices are listed here including the Oculus Rift, which would be moved here from Template:Video_settings. The devices are vaguely ordered in terms of perceived popularity listed alphabetically. Device rows are hidden when false or unknown.

As always feel free to expand and improve this template. There are probably other common input devices I've missed. The wording also needs improving; GameGrade3D's "native 3D" isn't clear at all--this refers to built-in 3D implementations including anaglyph, AMD HD3D and 3DTV native modes (e.g. frame-packed 3D).

• 1 month later...

The name was simply following the pattern of other settings sections/templates. I've changed the devices into alphabetical order, as suggested.

It would be helpful to have additional input and ideas from other users regarding this template's layout, wording and features. I may have missed a device or two; I deliberately omitted the Sixsense STEM System because it's fully backwards compatible with Razer Hydra games, so once it exists the template could be updated to reflect that.

If all of these were false it would preferable for this template not to be included at all, correct? I also wanted to know if 2D games should bother having this template. They're possible to play in VR, so I'd imagine we would?

• 1 year later...

Soeb suggested this discussion should be revived, so I'm bumping this topic to get further feedback and improvements. This template still lacks images but is otherwise a feature-complete implementation.

Feedback on the layout and coverage of peripherals, modes, etc. would be useful since it's easier to add such things before a template is implemented on the wiki.

Cool, as previously said it's time to mention 3D support somewhere.

I don't know if that would be better in video settings template or VR one...

Ok I just checked Meant To Be Seen website and it seems that just to properly present 3D/stereoscopic drivers and their ratings a dedicated template is practically required.

what other informations are relevant then?

And is there any alternative to the Oculus Rift? I'm somewhat looking forward to Project Morpheus.. which hopefully won't be just a PS4 toy

Last, are Steamworks VR API, FreeVR things?

I'm happy with the template as it is. Placement should probably be below Network settings, or all the way under Other information.

We've got the major peripherals, and as more surface or become popular, we can add those in. The layout is fine as it is, and all we need is Nicereddy to make some icons. Together with all those other icons ;)

Even if it's quite crowded (and if possible additions should be avoided) I don't see how 3D ratings could be mentioned anywhere but video settings template

Merging the 3D modes with Template:Video settings is certainly an option since it isn't only a VR feature (many players use 3D modes with standard input methods). This would increase the template's length by four rows on the page and thirteen lines when editing which might be a bit much.

If the 3D modes were put in the video settings template it might make sense to put the VR template under Input settings, renaming that section to Control settings (or similar) since some like the Oculus Rift aren't just for input (as always, VR headsets don't fully fit in anywhere with the current layout).

If the 3D modes were put in the video settings template it might make sense to put the VR template under Input settings, renaming that section to Control settings (or similar) since some like the Oculus Rift aren't just for input (as always, VR headsets don't fully fit in anywhere with the current layout).

What's required for a proper VR experience aside 3D support and (why not?) a good audio spatialization with headphones?

Oh, I see.

Since it seems most of the remaining stuff is related to remaining devices.. what about a separate "Devices" template?

Besides, Oculus rift may be even a defacto standard on the market (and maybe even trackIR, but I'm not sure)..

But the others aren't so monopolist/important to be worth a dedicated argument...

I would instead propose

{{Development:Devices
|tracking                = 
|tracking  notes          = TrackIR/FreeTrack/Kinect/Asus Xtion/Creative Senz3D/normal webcam that is not 3d aware but do its job (see EyeToy)
|Hands-free input         = 
|Hands-free input notes= 
|special input devices          = 
|special input notes         = Razer Hydra/Novint Falcon
|VR HMD    ["special output"?]     = 
|VR HMD notes                = oculus rift/morpheus/whatever
}}

SMW would then be screwed though I guess.. right ? .-.

I'm quite sure trackir could be made fit in another category but idk

I see Nicereddy has made some GG3D symbols, so everything is working now.

Are there any further thoughts regarding the template's layout and features as currently presented?

• 2 weeks later...

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 240 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online