Show touchscreen-support in case it's tested negative

gremolio

Unfortunately, Steam & Co. hardly care about a corresponding representation of support, since the group of gamers with Windows-/Linux-touchscreens is probably just too small to consider. With the Surface's increasing market share and the spread of the 'Steam Deck' I hope for improvement, but so far they are relying on third party sources or buying on suspicion.
So I'm glad to see the 'touchscreen optimized' tag here. However, I am surprised that this is not shown when a game has tested negative in terms of support. Example: Bridge Constructor Medieval. Bought with hope for support since it's available on Android, too - failed. I have considered the information in the wiki, but it is not displayed.

Would it be possible to change the view so that touchscreens are only hidden as an input option when 'unknown' or nothing is set? So in case of 'false' this is also displayed like this?

The current design is intentional to hide this row for games where it is unrelated, which is like 99% of all games we cover. We have quite many such rows that are automatically hidden when they're set to false since it's the assumed "default" state of PC games. For these, and this row as well, it's usually enough to add a note (whether that be a reference or otherwise) for the row to appear.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, Aemony said:

The current design is intentional to hide this row for games where it is unrelated, which is like 99% of all games we cover.

I mean... sure, it's up to you, your decision after all. But since there isn't even a tag for implementations like Steam Remote Play on Tablet or Xbox Cloud Gaming optimised for touch which are supported more and more, it confuses me that stuff like Anisotropic filtering on the other hand, which 99% don't even know what it means, is listed even it is marked as "unknow". 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 10:31 PM, gremolio said:

I mean... sure, it's up to you, your decision after all. But since there isn't even a tag for implementations like Steam Remote Play on Tablet or Xbox Cloud Gaming optimised for touch which are supported more and more, it confuses me that stuff like Anisotropic filtering on the other hand, which 99% don't even know what it means, is listed even it is marked as "unknow". 🤷‍♀️

Those aren't really the same though. AF is a common (albeit slowly becoming less so) graphical setting in games, while the touchscreen support row is an uncommon input peripheral. The former can be tested and identified by anyone while the latter cannot.

Xbox Cloud Gaming isn't related at all since covering those sorts of features are a slippery slope that ends with us removing the "PC" part of "PCGW".

However I wouldn't be surprised if we were to end up hiding the anisotropic filtering row by default soon as well since as I mentioned it as a discrete separate option is becoming less and less common. The purpose of that row was intended to showcase whether games supported AF for games of an era where bilinear and trilinear filtering were the more commonly available options, but nowadays almost all games uses some degree of AF, even at their lowest.