What's the deal with id Tech 4 games?

Currently I'm having problems with both Doom 3 and Quake 4 on a system running a 4GB MSI Nvidia GTX 970, an i7 8700K, 32GB of DDR4 RAM, and I've been struggling to play through both of them due to some odd issue where the games appear to run in "slow motion," the framerate doesn't drop, but it's like the game logic slows down randomly when in certain intensive areas.

I've tried the microstutters fix, adjusting the Tic Rate, uncapping the framerate, and in Doom 3's case using the Dhewm 3 source port, but these problems won't budge and often times are only made worse when attempting to tweak the games. I get the feeling this has something to do with Nvidia's current drivers and from what I can tell I'm not the only one having this problem. Anyone else have this issue and have any experience with correcting it? I'll include a few links to forum topics that appear to be talking about this issue in both Quake IV and Doom 3. I haven't tested Prey yet but I imagine it'll face similar issues.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/9050/discussions/0/1744518386141919686/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2210/discussions/0/3223871682627770468/

Did you try running the games using you integrated Intel graphics to eliminate Nvidia drivers as the issue ? I used to run Quake 4 with my Intel when I was playing a mod called "False Dawn" (I highly recommend) which had some issues with AMD cards.

4 hours ago, Antrad said:

Did you try running the games using you integrated Intel graphics to eliminate Nvidia drivers as the issue ? I used to run Quake 4 with my Intel when I was playing a mod called "False Dawn" (I highly recommend) which had some issues with AMD cards.

That's not a bad idea, though I'm not certain if my motherboard (ASRock Z370 Extreme4) has integrated graphics. I have heard someone mention renaming the exe to codsp or mohaa to force a different graphic profile to the game but the same problems persist.

20 hours ago, chemergency7712 said:

That's not a bad idea, though I'm not certain if my motherboard (ASRock Z370 Extreme4) has integrated graphics. I have heard someone mention renaming the exe to codsp or mohaa to force a different graphic profile to the game but the same problems persist.

Your processor is the one that has the integrated graphics and I checked your motherboard does have video output. As for changing the name of the exe I can confirm that works, but for id Tech 3 (aka Quake 3) engine games. COD and MOHAA are Quake 3 engine games, not 4.

• 1 month later...

Is this where the mentions of this problem on the Wiki articles came from?

Obvious questions that you didn't provide the answer for: what settings are you running at? The game offers 16x MSAA, which can be rough even for older games depending on your resolution.