Control adds always-online DRM despite being single-player game

Andytizer

Control

Control has just been patched to version 1.04 which added a new requirement for players to be connected to the internet and to use Epic Games Store in order to launch.

When attempting to launch the game without an internet connection, an error appears stating that the player is "Unable to log in" and to "Please launch the game using the Epic Games Launcher and a valid Epic Games User Account".

qy7zx521r4t31.png

Previously before this patch, Control was a DRM-free game. The game could be launched without launching Epic Games Store, and could be started directly through the exe file.

Users on reddit speculate that this new DRM is a measure to prevent users hex-editing PS4-exclusive content into the PC version. The patch also has the side effect of disabling the ability to play the game using a Steam controller, as launching through Steam is no longer possible.

52 minutes ago, Andytizer said:

Users on reddit speculate that this new DRM is a measure to prevent users hex-editing PS4-exclusive content into the PC version.

That was absolutely untrue and caused by user error. I had no issue unlocking the PS4-exclusive content and patching the game for 48:9 as of version 1.04, prior to the rollback.

cEAPrD1.jpg

Ma boys, who's the guy who's not getting da'internet nowadays?

No, really. I have not care about 'always connected' games since 2010, since the inception of Steam. We are going to cloud gaming. You are going to pay less for more but more regularly. Monthly actually. For 40€ Approx you have Origin, Uplay, Gamepass… And more is coming.

And baby you need a stable, high bandwith connection to use any of those services. Computers always are expensive. The thing is to use it and also make some money. Then it evens out. A PC is always a good investment I mean.

19 minutes ago, tecnocrat said:

Ma boys, who's the guy who's not getting da'internet nowadays?

No, really. I have not care about 'always connected' games since 2010, since the inception of Steam. We are going to cloud gaming. You are going to pay less for more but more regularly. Monthly actually. For 40€ Approx you have Origin, Uplay, Gamepass… And more is coming.

And baby you need a stable, high bandwith connection to use any of those services. Computers always are expensive. The thing is to use it and also make some money. Then it evens out. A PC is always a good investment I mean.

There are still many people that have low-speed or unstable internet connections. They may soon to become a minority if they aren't already, but so are Mac, Linux, ultrawide, multimonitor, hearing-impaired and colorblind users. Here on PCGW we try to make sure nobody is left out.