The Surge intro problem

Jwrath

Any ideas why the intro video looks scrambled?

If I reduce the graphics details the intro is shown properly, but if I exit the game and re-enter it looks scrambled again!

I've tried every possible combination and I can't find the option responsible for that.

A little help please!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Is this The Surge 1 or 2? I can't speak for the first game, but the second game uses basic WEBM files for their videos, which means it might be an issue with a third-party codec being installed, perhaps?

3 minutes ago, Aemony said:

Is this The Surge 1 or 2? I can't speak for the first game, but the second game uses basic WEBM files for their videos, which means it might be an issue with a third-party codec being installed, perhaps?

It's the first one. I haven't been to the second yet.

And I'm using the K-Lite codec pack. No problems with it for any game, old or new.

I'm starting to believe that the problem must be with the framerate. It is locked by default to 75 and usually games are running with 60.

Hmm, then I sadly don't have any clue. I recommend you contact the official support for the game as I can't find any indications of others having the same issue online, so they might be able to help you further in determining what's causing the issue.

On an unrelated note, I'd caution against using codec packs nowadays due to the potential issues they can cause. Most of the popular media players (VLC, MPC, mpv, etc) already include built-in filters for the most common video formats that's preferred and used without registering the filters system-wide, and so wouldn't cause any issues. Codec packs like K-Lite, CCCP, etc, are like a remnant of an outdated era, and are only relevant for highly specific use-cases where nothing else includes support for a specific codec (very rare nowadays).

I think I've found the solution!

The game's cutscenes are in WEBM format and they were set by default to open with Windows Media Player.

My K-Lite Codecs on the other hand were set for Media Player Classic.

When I changed the default to MPC the videos played properly.