Tag for development stage

So I was "working" on this and I would like to know what you guys think about this. Is something like this worth implementing, could this be even used and are my suggestions possible to do?

Edit: 4x "this"... yep, I shouldn't be awake right now...

I can make a little icon to match the others if you want me to.

I think the wording should be changed, though, because its also relevant to games in beta and other levels of development. Something like:

"This article documents a game currently under development - information may change frequently and could be outdated or irrelevant."

I can make a little icon to match the others if you want me to.

This would be super nice from you if it's not too much of an effort for you

I think the wording should be changed, though, because its also relevant to games in beta and other levels of development. Something like:

"This article documents a game currently under development - information may change frequently and could be outdated or irrelevant."

In the source I actually made a comment regarding this problem:

An alternative might be using a general tag for development with an additional (optional) parameter to define development stage (See https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Current&action=edit):

{{development}}
{{development|pre-alpha}}
{{development|alpha}}
{{development|closed alpha}}
{{development|open alpha}}
{{development|beta}}
{{development|closed beta}}
{{development|open beta}}

I'm not that great with the in-depth wiki stuff, so if anyone has an idea how this can be implemented, you're free to change it accordingly.

Edit: If this is too compicated, we could just use a general tag.

First of all, sorry for the late response.

This is what I have come up with: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/User:Hungr ... andbox/Dev

I ditched the closed/open because personally I don't see it as being relevant to the purpose of the notice, and it overcomplicates things in my opinion, but I'm open to suggestions to the contrary.

XP98WGa.png

i love those symbols, good job! :)

Soeb reached out on me via Steam and made huge improvements on the tag for which I'd like to thank him. The way it works as of now is that it says the following as the default (as suggested by Hungry eyes):

This article documents a game currently under development - information may change frequently and could be outdated or irrelevant.

It will also have additional parameters for development stage (replacing "under development" with literally anything) and links to (buy) access the beta (adding "You can find more information on early access to this game here.").

Now, the question is if it's possible to change the icon to match the first parameter. If this is not possible, we could just use the general icon (but I hope this won't be the case).

Can we start putting this into action soon? This will be very useful to add to pages rather than dedicating a key point to it as I have been doing. You can decide how to build upon it later but for now we should start getting the ball rolling on getting these added into pages.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, will get to work on this in a bit.

EDIT: All done. The four final templates can be seen here together: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/User:Hungry_eyes/Sandbox/Dev

I removed the prealpha tag in the end because it wasn't really needed and overcomplicated things. Games in pre-alpha can just use the generic development tag.

Use {{predev}} {{alpha}} {{beta}} and {{postdev}} to insert the templates into an article.

As an example I have added the tags to F1 2013, Prison Architect, Arma 3 and Minecraft respectively.

Added Interstellar Marines, Ridge Racer Driftopia, The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. Aaaand... with 3 tags on top of each other, the page starts to look a bit odd. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Interstellar_Marines. Maybe a stub tag should be present on a page, while a developement tag is already present on the same page, to save some space and make it look better as a result?

Just an FYI, this is probably the best order: stub -> cleanup -> review code -> development. Considering there probably won't be more than three per page especially with the recent assignment changes being rotated more frequently I don't think this will be an issue. Stub could probably be replaced with development considering the game is in development and information is likely to change, after the development period if it still isn't completed the stub can be restored.

How about something like this?

08-18-2013_14-42-08.png