Marketing ideas

Andytizer

In mid-2012, I was penalized for excessive promotion of PCGamingWiki on reddit, which resulted in a shadowban meaning that links to pcgamingwiki.com would get stuck in the spam filter of reddit.

Around 6 months ago, reddit admin Deimorz kindly lifted the ban on /r/Games last year, and I'm happy to announce that the ban should now be lifted for reddit in general. This also means that pcgamingwiki.com links can be posted to the very large and influential /r/gaming, which was the subreddit that provided the very first large influx of users and editors of PCGamingWiki back in February 2012.

I would like to remind our community members that excessive promotion of any sites that you are affiliated to constitutes spam. According to reddit, "If over 10% of your submissions are your own site/content, you're almost certainly a spammer". No matter how much you want to spread the word about PCGamingWiki, I would like to make sure people respect the 10%/90% balance, and to contribute positively to other online communities.

If anyone from the PCGamingWiki community would like to promote the site reddit, I would like them to consult me first. This is to make sure that we do not want to break any spam rules which may result in a permanent shadowban on the domain.

Many thanks,
Andytizer/Daily_concern

When Humble Bundles/Weekly Sales come out, if we have enough pages supported at the time of their release I'll usually comment with links to their PCGamingWiki pages. I usually do this in /r/games, /r/GameDeals, and /r/Steam in their respective Humble Bundle threads. Here's the most recent one I did for Serious Sam: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... ?context=3

I wanted to make sure this was acceptable, I don't do it for every bundle, since I've skipped the last 3 deals they've had, and I comment more than enough for that to make up much less than 10% of my content.

Ha, I was completely unaware of this shadowban - posted a link just yesterday to /r/simracing in comments. Guessing I must have missed the unban by no more than a few hours.

Some further clarification:

Links to pcgamingwiki.com inside comments have never been automatically moderated. However, posts as links may have been moderated if 'Automoderator' is a moderator in a given subreddit. If your post does get caught in the spamfilter (as in, it does not appear in the /new/ queue) then you should message the moderators and also let me know. I was informed about the unban around 9pm GMT on 24/06/13, but I was not clear about whether it extended beyond /r/Games and /r/gaming.

Nicereddy, the work you've been doing has been fantastic and I have certainly noticed the influx of traffic from those comments. As long as our supporters maintain that 90% of their activity is non-self-promotional, as you have been doing, we'll be golden.

I've detailed some of the issues experienced in a recent reddit post in this forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=374&p=1207#p1207

I'd like to remind everyone not to 1) link to specific reddit thread that supports PCGamingWiki, and 2) not to downvote comments that criticise PCGamingWiki unless they do not contribute to the conversation. Reasons are stated in above link.