Experimenting wite affilaite linking in the Sitenotice

Andytizer

Hi all I'm looking to increase our revenue income from affiliate marketing by posting up interesting deals on the top Sitenotice. The idea is that increased income will be used to purchasing additional games for us to review and create pages for (we have really ramped up our purchases lately).

We are currently using a script which converts links into affiliate links on our site. Any links following from our site with the following domains will append our affiliate information onto the link seamlessly:

greenmangaming.com

gamersgate.co.uk

gamersgate.com

gamefly.co.uk

newegg.com

amazon.com

amazon.co.uk

gog.com

I hope that the Sitenotice link isn't too intrusive (as a single line of text) but I am happy to take feedback and to take it down if it's too much.

Its a pretty good idea, but I do have the same problem as Soeb in Chrome (two tabs being opened for each one link, though neither are blocked even with an adblocker). I also think that the Sitenotice could be implemented better as it seems a little messy at the moment.

This has been happening to me with various links. I use middle click to open links in a new tab. It usually happens with the Availability table, specifically GamersGate links. It may be a MediaWiki glitch?

The problem appears to be with the implementation. This script rewrites on mouseup whereas others use mousedown. I don't know JavaScript but it should be easy enough to find/make a script that works based on mousedown instead.

Hi sorry for lack of reply.

The person who wrote the script (Armored Cavalry of CheapShark) and I discussed this at length when the script was first written - the double link on MouseUp is because this is the only way that Firefox would capture and append the affiliate link. It seems like a good compromise to guarantee that affiliate information would be appended correctly.

If anyone can rewrite to script to be compatible with all browsers, they are welcome to try.

With regards to sitenotice, I have closed the experiment due to lack of user conversions into sales unfortunately (0 purchases made over a week).

• 5 months later...

[Automated] This discussion has concluded and a verdict has been reached. If this is not the case and there are still matters left undiscussed please contact a member of staff to get the topic reinstated.