Suggestion for search engine improvement

LaserMoai

Hello. I've noticed that some useful articles don't show up both in search suggestions and search results because they have namespace prefixes in the beginning, for example "Controller:" or "Emulation:". When I search for "DualShock" the only related article I get is "Controller" while also getting a result that doesn't even exist, which is a bit weird.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Controller:DualShock_3_Controller

The search engine seems to handle some of the prefixes like "Developer:" and "Publisher:" properly, but not these ones. And even for those I'd personally prefer if they actually showed up among search suggestions while ignoring actual prefixes in the beginning.

We started creating custom namespaces for all types of non-game articles, which is why you don't get some specific pages on controllers, developers, publishers, glossary, etc. in the main namespace.

However I'm thinking that the separation of namespaces is not that necessary, what are the advantages of separating them like this over having a flat structure where everything occupies the main namespace?

He clearly said that only the search algorithm should ignore such namespaces, as for the most part only certain pages will actualy come up once they are looked up.

Maybe I didn't understand your post though.

Ah sorry I think I misread it, bit tired after a long day :).

The basic reason this is happening is because the default search options don't include the Controller namespace (but they do include some others). E.g. http://i.imgur.com/qopKYNU.png We'll get Soeb to fix this.

However I'm still not convinced we need namespaces for controller, glossary, emulation - we should consider rolling these into the main namespace.

Yeh, that would probably be better.

I personally believe it'd be better if we just kept these in separate namespaces for the purpose of organization, I changed that last year with the goal of clearing the main namespace of any non-game content as I felt that it was a pain to manage those pages without some obvious separation. I still believe that to be the case, as it's much easier for Semantic MediaWiki and other tools to differentiate between articles with these prefixes.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Emulation namespace though, it's rather redundant (to me at least). Most big emulators have their own wikis anyway, even Dolphin has a decent wiki which is far more suitable than one page, although now I remembered that having a list of emulators for each console platform is a nice thing to have so I guess they could be trimmed down a bit.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 329 Guests (See full list)