Audio APIs and EAX

Satsun

Oh wow, you're doing great work guys. I've always been quite... flustered about what's happened to audio quality in general over the last decade, actually more the sound in Thief 1 is still.... blah I digress great work!

A question I have is, do we have a list somewhere of games that need all the audio "fixes" for proper audio output?

EDIT: Just noticed the original link, that's neat could be integrated in PCGW.

Well, I'm constantly abusing of the "eax support" row to mention these, though one day we'll have to figure out a better solution (and a better name) than that.

There are a gazillion of other extensions/APIs. Even though we are not a retrogaming specific website like.. vogons for example.. it would be really nice to have listed every one of them: 3DPA, A3D, EAX, I3DL2, IAS, OpenAL, QMixer, RSX.

AMD trueaudio could even be the next thing (the first new standard in more than a decade)... we'll have to see how it actually behaves/sounds though

Check the link if you wan't an incomplete list.. but the amount of game that supported DirectSound3D is possibly tending to infinity

Edited by Mirh
post #4 was updated to reflect further research.. please any feedback is appreciated

• 2 months later...

Hurray.

Somebody with real development skills and knowledge on the matter eventually confirmed my suppositions in -the revised- post #4:

There's really no reason, on the microsoft side of the thing, for 3D buffers (thus surround audio) not just working on their own CPU "audio engine".

And this wouldn't indeed have happened if the majority of developers just didn't forced them to only work with hardware support (due to performance concerns, or just because they "really wanted to offer a much better experience than the plain MS algorithm")

EDIT: also the third of these articles too.

Edited by Mirh

• 1 year later...

May I be damned.

I was checking the ACT compatibility fixes list.. And I noticed there's a shim called "HardwareAudioMixer".

Which even though -true- surely won't restore XP audio architecture.. Perhaps could just allow to *bypass* all those stupid assumptions made by games? EDIT2: mhh nope

EDIT: note that many of my assumptions in there based around FO3 may require integration with this info

Edited by Mirh
funny how in two weeks I turned over half of the open question in the thread