Advanced wiki search

Joshua Haley

I consider pcgamingwiki.com to be one of the most comprehensive repositories of technical data on video games. And, at the same time, PCGW is one of the most difficult to find games that meet certain criteria. Especially when compared to Steam search with additional capabilities provided by the Augmented Steam and SteamDB browser extensions. Moreover, external wiki search is useless, because the mere mention of some feature on the page does not mean its presence in the game, since it is only a field header in a table, for which an arbitrary value can be set as an icon.

I understand that technically a wiki is just a set of text files united by links. This makes it very accessible for editing, mass, but, unlike database-based systems, makes it very limited for research.

I propose to create a task and formulate a technical task for it to expand the wiki with the ability to flexibly search for games by parameters, using inclusion and exclusion filters. Probably, this will require setting up regular parsing of updated pages. And here the established practice of using templates for pages will greatly help us out. To start, it is enough to include several of the most popular parameters in the search, adding others over time. Alternatively, you can allow users to search by parameters that are currently unavailable in Steam. For example, the presence of a DRM-free option, Multi-monitor, Subtitles, separate search by GUI language, audio and subtitles.

Similar issues were discussed earlier in the topic "Template:Feature - Transition over from semantic search to pages with the embedded query", which is now locked.

10 hours ago, Aemony said:

Under my account I get an error:

[8495510d0291320c78064106] /wiki/ MWException from line 249 of /opt/mediawiki/w/extensions/KeycloakAuth/src/KeycloakIntegration.php: User "Joshua" already exists but doesn't have email [...]. Authentication aborted for security reasons.

Backtrace:

#0 /opt/mediawiki/w/extensions/KeycloakAuth/src/KeycloakIntegration.php(74): KeycloakAuth\KeycloakIntegration->extractVars()
#1 /opt/mediawiki/w/extensions/KeycloakAuth/src/Setup.php(30): KeycloakAuth\KeycloakIntegration->getUsername()
#2 [internal function]: KeycloakAuth\Setup::KeycloakAuth\{closure}()
#3 /opt/mediawiki/w/extensions/Auth_remoteuser/src/UserNameSessionProvider.php(268): call_user_func()
#4 /opt/mediawiki/w/includes/session/SessionManager.php(490): MediaWiki\Extension\Auth_remoteuser\UserNameSessionProvider->provideSessionInfo()
#5 /opt/mediawiki/w/includes/session/SessionManager.php(215): MediaWiki\Session\SessionManager->getSessionInfoForRequest()
#6 /opt/mediawiki/w/includes/WebRequest.php(826): MediaWiki\Session\SessionManager->getSessionForRequest()
#7 /opt/mediawiki/w/includes/session/SessionManager.php(137): WebRequest->getSession()
#8 /opt/mediawiki/w/includes/Setup.php(725): MediaWiki\Session\SessionManager::getGlobalSession()
#9 /opt/mediawiki/w/includes/WebStart.php(89): require_once(string)
#10 /opt/mediawiki/w/index.php(44): require(string)
#11 {main}