Need help trying to play "Dungeon Siege" on a modern PC

Hey everyone!! I am trying to play the game Dungeon Siege on my Windows 10 PC, but for some reason it is not finalizing the installation process. I tried to install it on a virtual machine (Windows XP), and keep getting this message:

A fatal error has occurred and the app must be shut down. Unable to enumerate and DirectDraw devices installed on this system. Note: This error can occur if another application has exclusive control of the display. For example, NetMeeting’s desktop sharing feature may be enabled or you are trying to run this app through a remote desktop in Windows XP or Terminal Server. It can also occur if your hardware does not support 3D acceleration or if your video driver does not properly support DirectX7

I have been on another forum about this, and was told to just download the Steam version. That one has SO many problems that I really can't invest in that. And I don't like coding, I would probably make a typo somewhere and my computer will crash. (haha) I will be using a physical disk, btw. Can anyone please help me?

have usetup 3d acceleration for ur vm?

if vbox used, try 5.2.44, which is the last version with 3d acceleration support to xp

u need to install vbox tool in secure mode and install dx runtime