Games which are best played on original hardware from 97-2000

kordanor

Hey there!

first up: this site is an awesome resource, and has been a lot of help already, especially when checking lists of games using DirectDraw or GLIDE.

I just put together a Retro Machine, an AMD K6 II+ 600Mhz with a Voodoo 3, and I am in the process of making a video - and in that video I also wanted to highlight some games which are best played on original hardware (original as in released in late 90s, using Windows 98se)

"Best played" in this context means, that you either can't just play the game normally on modern machine, and there is neither an HD version of a fanpatch which increases resolution or something similar. If there are more complicated solutions via PCem, that's fine though. If the experience back then is equal than todays (with less hassle) thats also fine.

And while pretty much everything in the DOS era is equal or better on original hardware, this becomes or and more rare on games running on Windows. While that's great in general, that makes it hard for the video 😄

And it's also something you usually don't remember, as you only come across these things by accident, if you think like "I'd really like to play that game again" and then you can't get it running.
Also most of the time games back then were at the brink of tech and offered options you could only run in the future. Resolution no machine at the time would be able to run. But this doesnt help if you are using a PC from that time. So we are most likely also looking at resolution capped games (if these can't get patched)

So far I got:

Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) - Source Port is still in the works, but for now there isn't anything better than playing it on original hardware as far as I can see

Redline Racer - There doesnt seem to be a updated version for modern systems. Also got DRM which doesnt run on modern windows. Also is locked to 640x480, which means that you can already play it on an old machine with maximum performance and resolution.

Might and Magic 7 - There are fanpatches which improve the game quite a bit, however MM7 got sound issues on modern hardware. Unfortunately it's not a great example for my machine (as it wont run the game perfectly on 1080p) but it's best played with an early 2000s machine with win 98 or xp, using the fanpatches. So I just wanted to mention this as a "fringe" example of things coming together.

Nothing Yet

I also asked on facebook, and got the suggestions to check out Mig Alley, Rebel Moon, and have a nice day. I will need to look further into these.

If you got any additional suggestions, that would be much appreciated!

I've been intrigued for a list like this for a while. I think Vogons has a few that have been around for a while but I don't know how up to date those are. For early 2000s there's games that use disc protections or were only ever released in certain countries. I mention this because I have my own ongoing on/off project! I want to get DroneZ XL working but it's not easy. I'd link to the resources I have for this game but I've been cautioned not to use links here before I'm afraid. Ironically, it's harder for me these days now I'm actually getting around to it than it was when I first had the notion a few years ago because the solutions available have changed with certain features being removed or just that I have newer daily-driver hardware now. I'll get there one day but I think I'll have most luck on period hardware (old XP machines), once I get motivated to get those out of storage too...

This is a DOS game but it's from November 1996 meaning it's very hardware intensive and supports 3DFX. While apparently it runs in DOSBox et al you'd probably have better luck on period hardware, and not earlier DOS hardware at that. Even in DOSBox you're going to need a fairly beefy PC I should imagine. GOG packages it with Daum but that port has been abandoned for years now.

Keeping with the (sub)nautical theme, I must check out Sub Culture (Nov '97) again some day. It only has a stub article here and the graphics are interesting because this one also has 3D hardware (of the time) support but you choose which to use as part of the install process and if it doesn't detect the hardware, you can't choose it! A problem if you're emulating 3DFX or whatever on modern hardware, which only happens when a game is launched. I expect some manual moving of files around is necessary.

Yeah, for DOS / DOSBox it's not too difficult to have it running better on an original machine, which is why I am specifically looking for 1997 and newer. For the period before I got a couple of games.

Just checked for Sub Culture, and seems like lots of people are struggling with that. Will give it a go on my original hardware if I find a copy.