Empires: Dawn of the Modern World | Widescreen | 2560x1440

bradleybrand

I have the GOG version of Empires: Dawn of the Modern World installed. I downloaded the widescreen patch. My native monitor resolution is 2560x1440

Whilst the new resolution settings appear in the settings menu, whenever I try to launch a game with the setting 2560x1440, the game crashes. I can run the game 1920x1080 but it is not my monitor's actual correct resolution and the game's minimap appears to be off. Whenever I click say a gold mine on the minimap, it takes me sort of nearby but not the exact location.

Is there any other solutions? Perhaps the download file could be modified to allow higher resolution support?

Hello.

The game's article states that resolutions above 1920x1080 crash the game "during gameplay". The note is accurate, seen as my own attempts to play it in DSR 4K cause the crash aswell. As far as I know, there is no public workaround or fix for this issue.

The minimap getting distorted on higher resolutions is also an unresolved issue. Sadly "Empires Dawn Of The Modern World" has turned into a rather obscure title these days, that does not receive much attention anymore.

I am surprised that there is an actual "Widescreen Patch" uploaded, seen as a simple registry edit already allows for widescreen resolutions as well as custom refresh rates. Combined with the https://github.com/j-frei/EmpiresDMWZoomChanger it makes for an acceptable experience these days when using Full HD.

Either way, until there is a workaround or a proper patch, the game is sadly limited to 1920x1080.