Add 120fps support to template

Quaix

One feature I'd like to see is whether a game supports higher than 60fps framerates. A lot of games (such as 2d games) lock the framerate at 60fps and those that don't lock it have problems at higher framerates (skyrim and super meat boy have physics tied to framerate. Both games break at 120fps). Yet other games have problems going above 60 fps, such as Saints Row III due to the game being highly CPU dependent. And other games might have a way to uncap the framerate. There are also games like Rogue Legacy which are exemplary and support silky smooth 120fps in a 2D sidescroller game.

As more and more people get 120hz monitors you will see a demand for this feature. Why not add it now?

This definitely sounds like something worth implementing; is there a reliable way of determining compatibility without actually having access to a 120hz monitor, e.g. trying normal game actions for a while with vsync off and a frame rate above 60 to see if problems occur?

I'm not sure of the extent of testing you can do without a higher refresh screen. In Skyrim I believe you get physics glitches if you turn off vsync and exceed 60fps regardless of your refresh rate. On the other hand I just tried Super Meatboy and it runs at 120fps on my 120hz monitor set to 60hz and I can't get it to run at 60fps in full screen mode (I've verified that my monitor is actually running at 60hz). This breaks in-game physics as they assume 60fps.  Most games cap framerate to 60 to avoid these types of problems.

This sounds like it'd be somewhat hard to test for and a lot of people would have a hard time figuring out whether or not a game supports it. That's not to say it shouldn't be added, but I think it should, at least for now, be like the Oculus row. Only shown if true/hackable.

I think you guys would be surprised. I think most newer games don't lock 60fps. I think this is just too much hassle and hard to test for.

I would agree with Newmansan about it being hard to test and a hassle as first someone with a 120 hertz monitor who can maintain 120 FPS at all times would need to be test each game and then to test it would probably require a full playthough and maybe testing extra things if they are there as well.

The first part may not be to hard to do but the second part would require a good amount of someones time to test and make sure it works properly. There may also be other things that I am missing or not thinking of but those are just my initial thoughts.

Regardless of the hassle to judge whether a game supports it I agree with Nicereddy that it should still be included and stated where possible but being hidden unless it's true/hackable. If there's demand for it, and it's relevant then it should be included - we should be aiming to expand the templates as much as possible to give a proper objective overview of games and fully inform readers of what they can expect.

As a 120hz-user I definately would like to see this and help filling out all the blanks whenever I can.

While a lot of games support 120hz out of the box, there are more than enough of examples of games where this is not the case.

In terms of making it easier for people without 120hz Monitors to identify if the game supports 120hz - Well, for one, If a game allows changeing the refresh rate in the options or .ini that usually means the game will run at that refresh rate (not necessarily on that framerate though).

And all Unreal3 games technically support 120hz and the max framerate can be adjusted in the .ini files.

• 2 weeks later...

I have added a 120Hz option to the video settings template. 120Hz is shown when true, hackable or false, so games that are known to not support it can be marked as such. It is hidden when set to unknown or left blank.

I have also added a color blind option (as suggested in another topic) which is displayed when true or hackable.

Awesome. Added template to Trine 2 page with a way to remove 100fps cap. One down, 1419 to go.

Glad to see this site thriving since I saw it on reddit a year ago.

I would like to thank Quaixor and Garrett for their great work on this so far.

Here is the thread where this is being discussed on the 120Hz.net community: http://ww.120hz.net/showthread.php?3258-New-120Hz-Games-Report/page18

I never considered it before but perhaps a 1440p 120Hz monitor is something worth going for in my next build :)..

[Automated] This discussion has concluded and a verdict has been reached. If this is not the case and there are still matters left undiscussed please contact a member of staff to get the topic reinstated.