Clarification on Mouse Acceleration in the Input Settings

Exactly what in a game earns either true, false, hackable, or unknown for Mouse Acceleration in the Input Settings table?

I THINK that true means mouse acceleration is present and can be turned on/off. Hackable means it has to be "hacked" in, naturally; false means the game doesn't have mouse acceleration. But that doesn't account for games that have mouse acceleration that can't be turned off.

My understanding was that true means that it either has MA and has an in game toggle or it doesn't feature MA at all. Hackable means it has MA but you can toggle it via outside games means. False means it has MA and there is no way to turn it off.

Ah, with the goal being no mouse acceleration at all. That makes much more sense.

Some of these templates need really in-depth explanations of everything for new people like me.

The question was bugging me, since I was wondering how to put it down for Age of Empires and Rise of Rome. I'm also questioning whether I should put it down as "unknown" or "true" for that game, since there is no indication of mouse acceleration anywhere in the game (and I have little reason to suspect it does exist in AoE).

Basically, I'm 99% sure based on gut feelings it doesn't have it, but I'm wondering if that's too presumptuous on my part to make it a "true" in the table.

It's table for settings so same as video settings:

True - can be set in game

False - cannot be set in game

Hackable - can be set by other means

Some players might prefer having mouse acceleration enabled so it should still be given as false if it is locked at an off state.

In general:

True means there is a visible option listed in-game or in the launcher/setup tool bundled with it.

Hackable is anything not given as a visible option; this includes shortcut parameters and in-game console commands.

Settings that are seemingly possible but don't produce the expected result should be listed as false. Some games can be set to widescreen resolutions but everything then stretches/letterboxes from 4:3. There are also some cases where features that were true/hackable back in the day no longer work on modern Windows versions, e.g. a windowed mode now displays corrupted graphics; these should also be listed as false with the incompatible setting mentioned in the notes.

• 4 months later...

[Automated] This discussion has concluded and a verdict has been reached. If this is not the case and there are still matters left undiscussed please contact a member of staff to get the topic reinstated.