Changing Windows Resolution for one Game

I want my Windows resolution to change to 720p when I launch Age of Empires 2 HD, is there an easy way to do that?

Some games scale extremely poorly, this is often the easiest solution.

Because I can't. Unless there's something I missed. (sorry if the wording kinda came off as wierd, didn't know how to write this)

I'll check again and see if AOE 2 has some resolution settings, or anything like that.

You're right, I just checked and there doesn't seem to be a way to set the resolution.

To answer your question, I think you might be able to write a batch file using NirCmd and the command "setdisplay [width] [height] [depth]".

You're right, I just checked and there doesn't seem to be a way to set the resolution.

To answer your question, I think you might be able to write a batch file using NirCmd and the command "setdisplay [width] [heght] [depth]".

I saw NirCmd, but I wanted something less intrusive so that I could easily share this with more people, thanks anyway though.

I want my Windows resolution to change to 720p when I launch Age of Empires 2 HD, is there an easy way to do that?

Some games scale extremely poorly, this is often the easiest solution.

No this isn't the easiest option in my opinion. Most monitors have an option to change the image size. (external options on the monitor itself) They mostly are all set by default setup to "wide" or "widescreen". But almost all of them also have an option to  "auto" or "automaticly" scale.

What this means is the following:

If you put it on "wide" or "widescreen" it scretches whatever the resolution of the game is and makes it fit on your screen for fullscreen view.

Some older games will scale just fine. Altough most of them don't. They get either.... very zoomed in, or stretched. 

It looks like the following example: http://clutchround.com/comparisons/images/resolution/csgo_4_3_stretched_4.png

If you set the image size on "auto" or "automaticly" it will play the 4:3 game with black bars on the left and right side on your screen. It will put those black bars depending on your resolution chosen in your game.

Why I suggest this image size above any else is, that you can play older games at their original resolution

For example: If you are playing a game on 4:3 resolution it will play as following: http://clutchround.com/comparisons/images/resolution/csgo_4_3_stretched_3.png

If you still choose to play newer games in 1080p or 720p it will not have black bars or doesn't skretch, Because both of these resolutions have an aspect ratio of 16:9.

If you then choose to play 720p games on a 1080p monitor, it only means that it will show less pixels on your 16:9 monitor. It won't have black bars at the side. The screen doesn't get zoomed in either also, but will adjust to be proper shown.

I hope this helped a little ;)

Ps. If you can't find it out... search for an manual of your screen model. It will be described in there if the monitor has this possibility.

Edit#1: I thought you ment this because you said that the game "Scale extremely poorly".

Edit#2: Thank you for your "Thanks anyway".

No this isn't the easiest option in my opinion. Most monitors have an option to change the image size. (external options on the monitor itself) They mostly are all set by default setup to "wide" or "widescreen". But almost all of them also have an option to  "auto" or "automaticly" scale.

What this means is the following:

If you put it on "wide" or "widescreen" it scretches whatever the resolution of the game is and makes it fit on your screen for fullscreen view.

Some older games will scale just fine. Altough most of them don't. They get either.... very zoomed in, or stretched. 

It looks like the following example: http://clutchround.com/comparisons/images/resolution/csgo_4_3_stretched_4.png

If you set the image size on "auto" or "automaticly" it will play the 4:3 game with black bars on the left and right side on your screen. It will put those black bars depending on your resolution chosen in your game.

Why I suggest this image size above any else is, that you can play older games at their original resolution

For example: If you are playing a game on 4:3 resolution it will play as following: http://clutchround.com/comparisons/images/resolution/csgo_4_3_stretched_3.png

If you still choose to play newer games in 1080p or 720p it will not have black bars or doesn't skretch, Because both of these resolutions have an aspect ratio of 16:9.

If you then choose to play 720p games on a 1080p monitor, it only means that it will show less pixels on your 16:9 monitor. It won't have black bars at the side. The screen doesn't get zoomed in either also, but will adjust to be proper shown.

I hope this helped a little ;)

Ps. If you can't find it out... search for an manual of your screen model. It will be described in there if the monitor has this possibility.

I'm not trying to fill any black bars, I already know how to do this, what you posted is not what I wanted, also you got really lengthy for something as simple as that. DrCat got the idea, I'll just try using NirCmd.

Edit: Thanks anyway.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 373 Guests (See full list)