Basic wiki editing guidelines?

I was wondering since a very long while if some fairly basic guidelines could be established, there's very little consistency related to certain things and it gets rather tiring to see certain poor edits being repeated constantly, I'm also still rather confused about how certain things should be handled and constantly cleaning up some of the articles on the wiki gets extremely tedious.

Certain users also seem to lazily introduce new edits in rather shoddy ways, certain wiki pages holding lot's of useless informations and whatever else, some of the fixes themselves never even being properly tested before being added to the wiki although sometimes it is completely understandable as testing everything thoroughly does take some time.

I'm wondering if there could also possibly be some kind of global megathread, where more specific questions could be asked, in order to settle on a more consistent editing style and also decide on how to handle new things and clear more stuff up. Certain more lonely threads seem to be often ignored, which is why I'd rather have one big thread for this stuff.

Fully agree on developing proper guidelines, not just for wiki editing, but also a code of conduct for behaviour, as well as proper rules and principles. Soeb and I have been discussing this for a while. It's been attempted quite a few times but never completed. We are at the stage now where PCGamingWiki is becoming more prominent and we need proper rules to govern and protect the mission of the PCGamingWiki project.

I've been drafting a new Help:Contents page: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Help:Contents

The main component of this is ThatOneReaper's excellent guide here which looks like it is nearly complete: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/User:ThatOneReaper/Editing_guide

When we have this new Help:Contents page completed I plan to make it much more prominent by adding it as a tab, e.g. 'Wiki', 'Help', 'Blog', 'Forums'.

Would love to get feedback and help on this project.

Could the middleware table and whatever else is missing be added to the Sample article? Or is it more or less optional?

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/PCGamingWiki:Sample_article

Should PC Reports be placed under the Key Points section? Could there also be some links to certain often used templates such as the {{p}} template, the ID page, and are the new possible values which can be used for the release dates listed somewhere, similar to the ID list?

I would link them under general information if I were you

I only asked because someone else did that, not me.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 373 Guests (See full list)