Project IGI (1) Widescreen on Windows 11 keeps asking for CD

metzman

Hey everyone,

So, first off the Graphics options in the game itself crash the game to desktop when selected, not sure if I need to be there because I did manage to get dgVooDoo working with IGI 1 and run it at high resolution with correct HUD scaling.

Sadly, the Widescreen 16x9 fixed exe file by AuToMaNiAk005 makes the game ask for the CD, even though I have inserted the original disc in the optical drive or mounted an ISO image from it. And since it's a custom made exe, it can't be patched with a no-CD crack as the "filesize is incorrect". So I can play with the original exe and dgVoodoo resolutions, but not in wide screen since it stretches the visuals.

I tried it on two different PC's, but I'm on Windows 11 for both of them, so I'm not sure if maybe that has anything to do with it? 

If anyone has any ideas or a solution that would be great! I'd love to play the original IGI in widescreen with correct FOV before "Origins" releases.

Greetings,

MetzMan

IGI Win11.png

The game is not on GOG, so at this point, go with homebrew version that has backup .exe (aka cracked).
Compare both .exe and look with HxD for values from the widescreen, that are for widescreen resolution, or look fora any  differences, and then copy them to the cracked one.
This way is more easy, than bypassing the DRM, and the protection of the game is: CD-Checks + Dummy Files
Sometimes homebrew (aka piracy LOL) is the only way.

11 hours ago, mefistofella said:

The game is not on GOG, so at this point, go with homebrew version that has backup .exe (aka cracked).
Compare both .exe and look with HxD for values from the widescreen, that are for widescreen resolution, or look fora any  differences, and then copy them to the cracked one.
This way is more easy, than bypassing the DRM, and the protection of the game is: CD-Checks + Dummy Files
Sometimes homebrew (aka piracy LOL) is the only way.

Thank you for the suggestion! I was actually wondering if that was possible, gonna try and dive into that today.

Ok, so this is where my knowledge of hex editing fails me. I just don't have the experience to know where to look for. Especially when comparing the two exe files that have so many differences and there are no clear lines about fov values. Just a line "widescreen filter" but that's probably not even related since it's also in the original exe.

Adding a no cd check to the 16 x 9 exe would work as well, but same problem, don't know where to start looking. Would be neat if the no cd check and fov could be combined. 

So I guess this problem will be stuck in limbo until someone with expertise cares enough about this game to dive into it. 

Also very curious if unlocking the framerate would be possible, since it's limited to 30. Or that it would break the game if you tried.

• 11 months later...

I'll copy & paste my response from a different topic so more people can read it:

So I did a bit of digging on what versions have this error and what don't. The NA version in the installer in the upper left corner of the screen and the in-game menus says I'm Going In (NOT Project I.G.I.) and works, and while both the original EU version and the EU re-release in the installer in the upper left corner of the screen and the in-game menus say Project I.G.I. (NOT I'm Going In), the re-release doesn't work and will keep asking for a CD, so for now I'm concluding that it's an issue with the EU re-release. And one more thing, while the original EU version writes Project I.G.I. in both the installer and the menu and works, if you apply the widescreen exe, it will write I'm Going In in the menu (but it will still work), so if you want the widescreen patch to work straight out of the box, you'll have to get the original EU or NA releases and not the EU re-release. My guess is that there were a bit of modified codes between the EU re-release and the original EU & NA releases back in the day.

IGIEUInstaller.png

IGINAInstaller.png

IGIEUMenuBeforeWidescreenPatch.png

IGINAMenuBeforeandAfterWidescreenPatch.png