Valve confirm Steam Cloud Gaming with Valve-hosted servers as well as GeForce NOW support

store_home_share.jpg

New documents from the Steamworks Documentation site show that Steam Cloud Play (Beta) is now being implemented.

The new name of the service is Steam Cloud Gaming, and for it to be enabled, each game must support Steam Cloud Saves.

In addition, each game developer has a choice to opt-in: “Enable your game to run streamed from the Cloud, hosted by Valve, and the following service providers:” and “NVIDIA GeForce NOW.”

Nvidia's GeForce NOW has been running for quite some time as a PC gaming streaming service, and the real news is that Valve is implementing their own Valve-hosted game streaming service.

It appears from the wording of the opt-in that Valve's own-hosted game streaming service is a prerequisite to enabling native GeForce NOW support.

Will I be paid differently for sales of my game on Steam if it is opted into Steam Cloud Play?

No. You will still be paid the same way you are paid now for your application sales (both package and in game sales). Steam Cloud Play is simply giving Steam users more options on where and how to play their PC games. It is similar to how players play games from their Steam Library through the Steam Remote Play or on an additional computer.

Do I need to do anything special to my game to make it compatible with Steam Cloud Play services?

Fortunately there is very little work to get your game working on a Steam Cloud Gaming Service. You need to sign the addendum, opt each game into the program and ensure your game has either Steam Cloud enabled or it's own online save system. Most the time these are the only requirements. When testing your game, if another issue comes up we will reach out to you to help fix any specific issues.

It remains to be seen exactly how game streaming will look and function within the Steam client, and we look forward to seeing full implementation soon.