Rogue Warrior crashes

tyl0413

Just got the game on the Steam sale but after a few minutes of playing the campaign when i reach a point it just crashes with the generic "Rogue Warrior has stopped working" error no matter what i do. Looked everywhere but only thing i found was people recommending changing compatibility settings to Vista and downloading this file but neither worked for me.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700
GeForce RTX 2060 Super
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 1903

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been fiddling with this for a while now with no luck. I couldn't get SpecialK fix to work with the game, it just refuses to launch if I use the d3d9.dll from that, so either the crashing is due to the refresh rate, or it's Windows 10-related. It used to run just fine on Windows 7.

The dinput8 fix did help with stuttering, which I was able to test in a multiplayer lobby alone. For some reason multiplayer doesn't seem to have crashing issues (though it's not like anyone plays this game anymore). Oh and I also tested running the game at a lower resolution than 1440p, no luck in that regard.

Here's hoping someone figures out a fix..

Edit: Just after posting this I found a fix that is so far working:
https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

Place the d3d9.dll and wine3d.dll from the latest version of WineD3D in your Rogue Warrior installation folder. Unfortunately the game will break if you try running with the windowed mode parameter (you'll get a glitched black screen once you reach the main menu). Also, don't Alt+Tab. You'll have to force close the game since it won't let you get back into the game properly (it stays minimized but you can hear it running).

Credit to Terje_P on the Steam forum for pointing out this fix.