Anti-Aliasing article revamp

I understand, but since AMD section only has one AA now it looks pointless. Maybe if more AAs are added. Also I'd rather not get rid of the distinction of the post process and regular AAs.

The exclusivity is on same row as supported GPUs anyway so it doesn't get in the way.

• Removed Nvidia Inspector flags and moved them to Nvidia Inspector article

Also I'd rather not get rid of the distinction of the post process and regular AAs.

I wasn't trying to do that, the titles are just messed up right now as I didn't bother changing them. I forgot how titles with === have no lines under them, so the categories are kinda pointless. I'm sorry I'm really sleepy today, usually I would check this stuff before posting but whatever now.

Oh it's fine. I appreciate new ideas. Thinking of this I could remove the (Nvidia exclusive) and just write out the full GPU series name.

EDIT: Yup that's better.

Plz, no vendor specific thingy. It's fantastic now.

First of all that page should describe AA methods.

Ok, I have an even neater truth now. It should -in theory- but first of all: what else do we want to include in that page?

For starters, we should think that page is likely to "welcome" people when games have no built-in support.

Or people with no freaking idea what AA is at all, or in general any person in any page with the video template that clicks over it (improve already existing support for example)

After this single dogma, which I believe would be better to address for first, we may think to everything else.

Until "Impact on Graphical Quality" section, I think it's a quite ok-ish introduction. Then?

How should we present forcing? And how to talk about the heap of programs that do it? (don't bother much with gpu control panels, given that should go here or here)

Consider it should be as immediate as possible for your average noob (meaning cut the "you can try this or this or this or this or this or this or this"), yet comprehensive for somebody with "more time and knowledge"

I think "Impact on Graphical Quality" could be removed and its content integrated in the types of anti-aliasing (traditional and PP) by making the points relevant to it more detailed, since those points are kind of repeating what the "Impact on Graphical Quality" part already said.

For example in "Traditional methods" instead of having "Usually more taxing on resources" we could have something like "Usually more taxing on resources, should be prioritized if seeking a large performance improvement".

Not bad! Working on it now. Also added note about deffered shading since it's lot more common in use now.

• Impact on quality removed and merged into the categories
  • Minimal information on deferred shading added (if user wants to know more he should read the article/google it)
  • Removed some dubious stuff I noticed
  • AA wiki article is now reference

Usually more taxing on resources, should be prioritized if seeking a large performance improvement

Should be prioritized.. what?

And.. I dunno, AA performance response greatly varies between games and hardware.

Albeit I agree there should be such a kind of "low FPS alert", it should just warn users that, if any lag, it might want to consider a post processing alternative.

On the other hand, in post processing AA, I'd like an alert stating that [rarely/sometimes/every-now-and-then/usually/often/almost-always] (choose the one you like) bad implemented algorithms causes more harm to the image (aka blur) than good.

. . . and now the big part.

You may be interested to know that amd driver features Adaptive AA (ADAA?), which I guess goes alongside Nvidia's TMS and TSS. (ok, only the later, perhaps)

And not to mention that (put aside MLAA which can be combined with any other mode) there are different filters: narrow-tent, wide-tent, edge-detect (together they make CFAA)

For as much as.. I guess at least their description/link should be there on the list, this is getting really big.

And moreover, for as much as I do like that table, it still does nothing to lead noobs.

I just realized a thing though: traditional AA is only hackable through drivers (let's forget about downsampling, at least for starters)

This in turn implies what I was saying before: it's always going to be a vendor specific process.

And for as much it might be good to have a list with supported modes for each one, that has nothing to do with "Forcing" in the main AA page.

You either want traditional AA hacked (regardless if it is SSAA or MSAA or SGSSAA) or for whatever reason you are condemned to post-processing one.

Make your own conclusions. seriously, I have fucked my mind in this last hour

Last, -still in noobs interest- there was still that idea about compatibility bits list pending.

Trivia: should we mention Fragment AA?

And would we have any use of this table?

Should be prioritized.. what?

I meant to say, should be among the first thing to remove in case you want a performance boost.

I can't think of a single game, regardless of the hardware, where non-post-process AA isn't one of the most taxing graphical options.

Also, does ADAA still exist on modern AMD GPUs? I don't see it in Crimson.

Edited by DrCat

I meant to say, should be among the first thing to remove in case you want a performance boost.

I can't think of a single game, regardless of the hardware, where non-post-process AA isn't one of the most taxing graphical options.

Yes, and it's exactly that "one of the most" the problem.

Sometimes it isn't (be it because in-game AA is pretty lightweight/optimized for some reason, be it because there are even more heavy effects) and I really hate to give inaccurate information.

I and blackbird managed to find a very good "wording fix" anyway.

Also, does ADAA still exist on modern AMD GPUs? I don't see it in Crimson.

It's called adaptive multisampling. And it's still there at least in 16.2.1

Say hello to:

Last: should we mention analtyical anti-aliasing (AAA or AEAA)?

What about Rotated Grid (or rook?) and Ordered Grid SS ?

Is Quincunx supersampling or multisampling?

And is HSAA even a thing outside ot this guy?

Considering the list is becoming enormous.. I dunno, perhaps should we introduce some other criteria? And move it in a: "AA list/glossary" page?

Maybe we should restrict the described AAs to those that are supported natively by at least and handful of games + those that can be forced in drivers, and put the rest in a "further reading" list or something of the sort.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 280 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online