Lists of localizations for registered users only

hornster02

I'd like to ask. If a user wants to see the whole list of translations, he must have created a PCGW account? Is this restriction on purpose or is it some strange bug ("Permission error" "You do not have permission to run arbitrary Cargo queries, for the following reason:The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Users, Administrators, Trusted, Editors")?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Category:Lists_of_official_localizations
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Brazilian_Portuguese_localizations

Hi, those queries are too expensive for the backend as every visit generated them anew.

As a result, we've been forced to limit them to signed in users only so they don't end up DDoS'ing the site for other visitors.

I understand the huge demands when generating content in real time, but I don't know what the advantage of this solution for average user. It would not be bad if sometime in the future "offline" lists would be created, which would be updated once a day/week/month. Pirating PCGW pages and uploading lists to mega.nz doesn't seem like a good solution 🤔 ...

Huh? This is a stop-gap measure to ensure the site remains available and usable.

The alternative would be to create separate subpages for each subquery but users just don't tend to do anything like that due to the number of pages it would involve. Since each individual page cannot generate a list of more than 700-1000 entires due to server limitations, you'd end up having to split a single query across multiple subpages.

In comparison, anyone can create and sign in to a PCGW account within a minute or so, and then access the full capabilities of our backend lookup.

The limit seems to be around 1600-1800 (depending on the language). Too bad, then I have to manually merge the lists into one html file, but its OK. Yes anyone can create an account on PCGW (currently 38,821) but what if there are 100 times more? Won't there be a DDoS threat again?
I didn't know that the need to be registered is only temporary, whatever that means... Thanks 🙂