Andytizer

Facebook buys Oculus For $2 billion

It's been nearly a day and it still hasn't quite sunk in for me. It's enormously disappointing that a crowdfunded independent company that was going to become the next step in PC gaming gets bought out by Facebook. Here from Zuckerberg himself:

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

What do people think? Is it the end for VR? Will new VR headsets be released to compete with the Oculus (providing that they don't infringe on their patents)? Or will VR and gaming become reinvigorated with this $2 billion cash infusion?

Click here to view the article

I'm cautiously optimistic I guess. If Mark can keep to his word and not micromanage it, then perhaps it can still flourish. I was sad to hear that Notch nixed the minecraft version of the rift.  

I was a bit pissed at first, but I was reading Oculus's own blog post about it, and at the end they went on about how this was a big step in making VR an affordable thing for everyone. Facebook said they don't intend to interfere with how it works on a gaming standpoint, and if they stick to their word and this buyout makes VR an affordable thing in the foreseeable future, I think this will be brilliant. I have faith in Carmack.

The reaction has definitely been a bit OTT, especially notch being a massive child and just cancelling Mincecraft for the Rift. This probably wont ruin it, if anything, this is just going to make it less of a niche product, and more appealing to everyone.

Personally I'm quite relieved someone like Facebook bought Oculus. If, say Google had bought them, I could see them shutting it down and just hiring the developers behind it. NVidia and Sony would have probably made it an exclusive, and companies like Valve have better places where they could be spending. At the end of the day, if Facebook does what they have done with Instagram and what they're doing with WhatsApp, I don't think Oculus and VR will be impacted very much (except for a big increase in cash flow).

"especially notch being a massive child and just cancelling Mincecraft for the Rift."

I completely agree with this, I think he's being really immature about it.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Similar Content

• By Marioysikax
      Valve index has been out for some time now, but it is not listed on articles in any way and there's no dedicated fields for it either. 
      1. Should "HTC Vive" be renamed into "SteamVR headsets" to include both Vive and Index or should Index be additional entry on the table? 
      Headsets should be almost interchangeable, hence why valve is selling controllers and lighthouses seperately, however steam store still keeps mentioning vive and index seperately on store pages and mentioning index on articles would be more SEO. 
      2. With tracked motion controllers, should we indicate specific controllers, rather than just true/false? 
      Many games are updated to support valve index controllers, but almost as many are not and will give you prompts for htc vive controllers instead. This can also lead into some trouble if the game relies heavily on e.g. touchpad controls. e.g. Payday 2 is impossible to play out of the box with index controllers, even if it fully supports motion controllers. 
    • By Andytizer
      I've been looking to replace my Oculus Rift, and the Oculus Quest has really intrigued me. It's about the same price as the Rift S, but the main difference is that the unit is capable of a standalone mode without a PC - which is delivered on a Android with a Snapdragon 835 CPU. The Oculus Quest games are underpowered compared to the games you can get tethering on a PC through SteamVR or the desktop Oculus Store.
      What has changed my perception of the Oculus Quest more recently is that Oculus Link is going to be software patched in. This allows tethering the Oculus Quest to a PC for a 'standard' PC VR experience using a normal USB3 A to C cable.
      Not only this, but the Oculus Quest has been able to stream games from PC to Oculus Quest using a hack. This is done by enabling developer mode, installing SideQuest (a sideloading app), and VirtualDesktop. Then you can stream all PC experiences over wifi and this gives a full untethered PC experience with minimal lag - you can use SteamVR, Oculus etc all without worrying about tripping over a cable.
      Yes the Quest has inferior specs (lower refresh rate, lower resolution) compared to tethered headsets (Rift S, Valve Index, Vive Pro etc). But is this the best option and is this the future of VR?
    • By Andytizer
      Half-Life: Alyx, the newest entry into the Half-Life universe, has had its latest release information blasted as us today:
      Official Steam page https://half-life.com/en/alyx https://twitter.com/valvesoftware Infodump:
      Let's rewatch the trailer several times..

• By KingKrouch
      File courtesy from "https://galgun.pikachu.moe/ModPawn.zip" from the Steam Guide: "https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1603993136"
    • By AnotherGills
      Enhance’s latest title, Tetris Effect, has been released exclusively for the Epic Games Store. The title has been developed for 2D play, as well as with virtual reality in mind, supporting both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive head-mounted displays. However, there is a slight hurdle to use the VR mode. In an ironic twist, SteamVR is required to use either headset. While the game is not available for purchase on Steam, the program is still required to play Tetris Effect in VR.

In an article from DSOG, Epic responded, stating:

Of course, the non-VR portions of the game do not require any sort of Steam usage. Enhance has provided no comment as to why SteamVR was chosen, yet not released on the Steam platform.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 318 Guests (See full list)