Localizations

Muriloricci

Got it. Also, would it be a good idea to get rid of the 'Audio' and 'CC' from the table if the game is, say a visual novel? The game's interface is the only thing being translated and the text is part of the interface.

In this case just use N/A.

Also finding localization info is really hard. Steam does not list them all, and in some cases it does not give detailed information about audio or cc. Language is supported but there is no info about anything else.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afaik steam store page list is really far from being complete and most of times the only reliable language is English (except maybe for Valve's game)

And not even then. With games well before language template, there's only one tick on English interface and nothing else even when that game has full audio and sometimes subtitle support (e.g. Commandos 2, Overlord, Fallout 3...). Which is a minor hassle because you just look for gameplay videos (or just play the game).

Afaik steam store page list is really far from being complete and most of times the only reliable language is English (except maybe for Valve's game)

Ha! Valve's store pages are disgustingly bad. Not a single one lists subtitle support despite every one of their Source engine games having subtitles for English. They clearly haven't gone through and updated them since adding the new translation features. I really wish Valve would add a "Report issue with this store page" feature, I see issues on them all the time.

Note that the Steam store page doesn't always show all languages that exist on Steam because it can depend on your region (Russian and/or Polish in particular are often only listed for buyers in those regions). The Steam Database shows all languages on the Depots tab. In some cases certain languages have separate app IDs.

For older releases, let's hope people with the knowledge add them in. It's rather hard to know for what markets was a game localized.

Some of the most popular games/series have collector's sites detailing the specific contents of regional versions (e.g. Ultima Collectors Guide).

Some regional releases of older games like Ultima only translated the box and documentation, not the game itself, so the existence of a localized box on MobyGames etc. doesn't mean the game was actually playable in that language. These exceptions can be noted in the localization section when known.

Ok we have agreed Steam is unreliable

Now, imo, it would be better to rework what I find an awful tangle:

the fan/fan notes mess.

The actual template is this

{{L10n|content=
{{L10n/switch
 |language  = 
 |interface = true/false/unknown
 |subtitles = true/false/unknown
 |audio     = true/false/unknown
 |notes     = 
 |fan       = true/false
 |fan notes = 
}}
}}

but I really feel like it's redundant.

{{L10n|content=
{{L10n/switch
 |language  = 
 |interface = true/false/unknown/hackable
 |subtitles = true/false/unknown/hackable
 |audio     = true/false/unknown/hackable
 |notes     = 
}}
}}

This is the first revision that came to my mind. 3d party translations can easily be spotted and each property is independent from others. Obviously you can write whatever you want in the notes section

Share opinions thanks

I think people are misunderstanding the point of the fan & fan notes parameters. While they do clutter the template a bit, they're primarily for usage with Semantic MediaWiki to differentiate between official and fan translations. I think we may want to discuss only including the "fan" and "fan notes" syntax when the relevant translation is a fan translation, but I think it's probably here to stay.

As for adding "hackable", we've already discussed this and Soeb says it's overcomplicated. I'm torn on whether or not to include it, so I won't comment on it right now.

I think people are misunderstanding the point of the fan & fan notes parameters. While they do clutter the template a bit, they're primarily for usage with Semantic MediaWiki to differentiate between official and fan translations. I think we may want to discuss only including the "fan" and "fan notes" syntax when the relevant translation is a fan translation, but I think it's probably here to stay.

As for adding "hackable", we've already discussed this and Soeb says it's overcomplicated. I'm torn on whether or not to include it, so I won't comment on it right now.

Hackable would made the trick, again, when talking about distinguishing fan-made and official translation

Then, I remember the discussion some days ago, but I think his overcomplicated claiming was related to my odd idea of auto-hididing notes column

When talking about the hackable issue his claiming should be this.

{{L10n/switch
 |language  = Italian
 |interface = true/false/hackable/unknown
 |subtitles = true/false/hackable/unknown
 |audio     = true/false/hackable/unknown
 |notes     = 
}}

And.. if the only problem is that the semantic mediawiki has troubles understanding the hackable value meaning (at least this is what I finally understand).. wouldn't be possible to make the presence of the translation property recognizing hackable as true, but at the same time making the status property equalizing it to.. something else that's not official?

I know less than nothing about SMW templates.. but I think an easy solution could be similarly achieved

Edited by Mirh
rewrote code

Well hackable means that you have to do something outside games regular options to make something work (e.g. applying AA with external program) so I would say it should also apply to fan translations as they aquire you to at least download it and possibly apply it in some manner. It would also make it clearer what languages are actually official.

This is something I've been thinking about a bit lately, I figured I'd bring it up. The localizations template currently organizes the columns as "UI, CC, Audio". The syntax is generally the same. However, Steam uses "UI, Audio, CC". This makes it a lot harder to easily base the template off the Steam table, and can be prone to mistakes for the user. Would it be possible to change the order the columns are listed, and potentially get Garrbot to rearrange the syntax in pages to use this same "UI Audio CC" organization?

I realize Steam isn't the most accurate source for the localization template, but it generally is a good representation of what is existent in a game, and I usually leave all others as "Unknown" rather than "False" unless I can't confirm myself that they're lacking.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 224 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online