Localizations

Muriloricci

Fair enough, my only other issue that I figured I'd bring up before anyone implemented the template too widely is that it automatically includes the Localizations header. Personally, I strongly dislike this as none of the other templates do this and it can be confusing to editors who rely on the section header syntax to differentiate between sections in the edit view. I would prefer if we manually added the headers as we do with all the other templates to make for easier separation of content in the edit view.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question - should I use yes/no or true/false? Because, I've seen both already :P

Also, FYI - I'll still be needing hackable, cause there are some fan translations - some of which are of surprisingly high quality - I know, because, I was for example participating in beta testing the translation for Half-Life 2: Episode One ;)

Fair enough, my only other issue that I figured I'd bring up before anyone implemented the template too widely is that it automatically includes the Localizations header. Personally, I strongly dislike this as none of the other templates do this and it can be confusing to editors who rely on the section header syntax to differentiate between sections in the edit view. I would prefer if we manually added the headers as we do with all the other templates to make for easier separation of content in the edit view.

Oh yes, I think, I'd prefer manually adding a header as well.

-- EDIT --

OK, I read some more... thanks.

Question - should I use yes/no or true/false? Because, I've seen both already :P

I personally prefer yes/no over true/false in this case because true/false implies that other parameters like "na" or "hackable" would be possible.

I personally prefer yes/no over true/false in this case because true/false implies that other parameters like "na" or "hackable" would be possible.

More exceptions. I remembered a team that created a translation for HL2E1, at its time also translated Flatout, so I thought about adding that - cause that Flatout translation was really good. Except, I don't see a point in stating if subtitles or audio translation is true (ergo: yes), cause the only thing that really applies in here is the translation of the menu. There are no subtitles or audio in English. I'll leave the fields empty for now.

EDIT: Should the language section be included if English is the only language, or is that redundant?

For similarity between articles, I would say yes. However, I'd like more discussion on this before anyone (myself included) goes and includes it in a bunch of pages.

More exceptions. I remembered a team that created a translation for HL2E1, at its time also translated Flatout, so I thought about adding that - cause that Flatout translation was really good. Except, I don't see a point in stating if subtitles or audio translation is true (ergo: yes), cause the only thing that really applies in here is the translation of the menu. There are no subtitles or audio in English. I'll leave the fields empty for now.

I'm not sure I understand, does the "|interface =" row not work in this case?

I'm not sure I understand, does the "|interface =" row not work in this case?

No, it works. I just don't see a point in showing rows CC and Audio rows, if they won't have anything in them aside from Unknown icons.

There are no subtitles or audio in English. I'll leave the fields empty for now.

This template shows unknown if the parameter is empty; use n/a for audio if the game has no speech.

I just started adding localization info to couple of games. I think it is a nice addition to the wiki. Some of my thoughts:

• I think the games which support only one language should be specified as well. It is not always English, sometimes some games only support Russian, Japanese etc. Or the original language is some other language besides English and the available translation is not good enough.
  • Notes section should be expandable. For instance I started adding Turkish fan patches to various game pages but I only specified links which include detailed instructions, screenshots, download link etc. In this case adding an additional header just for a link is kind of a waste.
  • A category page with a table for supported languages could be created. (e.g. Spanish language/localized games, Japanese language/localized games etc.) But obviously those categories should be set to hidden, otherwise bottom of the page would be a mess for games that support more than 10 - 15 languages.

This is especially nice feature for regions that aren't usually translated and has translation patches. Wouldn't it be really easy to make bot just copy/paste attributes from steam store page as it uses significally same kind of table and then just add information for patches, non-steam and older games?

This is especially nice feature for regions that aren't usually translated and has translation patches. Wouldn't it be really easy to make bot just copy/paste attributes from steam store page as it uses significally same kind of table and then just add information for patches, non-steam and older games?

Afaik steam store page list is really far from being complete and most of times the only reliable language is English (except maybe for Valve's game)

Well, Steam could be the first place to start

My point was that we shouldn't set languages "false" only because steam says so

Then the only other thing that comes to my mind is googling "gamename languagename"

Got it. Also, would it be a good idea to get rid of the 'Audio' and 'CC' from the table if the game is, say a visual novel? The game's interface is the only thing being translated and the text is part of the interface.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 236 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online