Localizations

Muriloricci

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe doing something similar as Steam Store does would fit perfectly. For example:

Localization files (or, Translations)
English – Interface (Yes) / Full audio (Yes) / Subtitles (Yes)

It would be a simple template, despite of the fact of having a big number of languages in the world.

I would see instead this thing perfect to include fan made translations, like those of the first two fallout games

It would be also nice to include some of the official translations for older games (e.g. deus ex on steam is english only, but I would like to play it in German or Italian)

But probably this would be utopian

I really like this idea! I'd propose that we include a note at the top/bottom of the table by default that warns the user that these aren't guaranteed to be correct. Something like "Be aware that these may not be true across all storefronts or versions of the game."? I would also suggest adding a "tool-tip" for UI since some people may not know what the acronym refers to.

I think the tooltip would work the best. It's somewhat implied that it's not 100% guaranteed to be correct since this is a wiki, so I suppose there's not too much of a reason to have it take up too much space.

could be a column for "Official/Fanmade"? and if is fanmade the click directly go to the info instead the "Fan translation, see XXX"

What would be the benefit?

You made me think we could even scrape notes column (so, saving up lots of space) and directly include the links in the yes/hackable images

...but then I realized we would lost the space to describe localization limitation (e.g. available only on retail editions, only on GOG or only on steam)

So go on and try to list some of your points ;)

Mhh I think the following could work better:

If there's no language which requires notes, this relative column could be even removed

Otherwise, that could be reactivated whenever needed by just typing something in

|notes     = 

And imo, we could even remove the fan row. Simply allowing to use hackable for these proprieties should be enough

When you put it like that the lack of hackable does make sense since the end result is what matters.

EDIT: Should the language section be included if English is the only language, or is that redundant?

English first, definitely. If we expand to support more languages (e.g. the Polish translation of our The Witcher 2 page), we could theoretically (no idea if this is possible, Soeb?) have whatever the chosen language is at the top. However, since the rest of the wiki is English, I think English should probably remain at the top.