South Park PC 1999 will not work on my windows 10

I have tried everything. i followed everything on the wiki, didn't work. i tried installing it from the cd, it will not let me install from the installer, nothing happens so i installed it on my win 98 vm and brought the files over to windows 10. after that i renamed the exe to "southpark3", patched it, didn't run. i tried nglide and vgvoodoo , nada. a friend on discord installed it on windows 11 fine and it plays fine, even sent me a video. he gave me his install through dropbox with everything already done. i click the exe, it enters a black screen for longer this time (4 seconds, farthest ive gotten) then it crashed. the game will not even let me into the graphics card tab, its just black screen, crash.

so I'm stumped.  went everywhere for information, tried all of them. i cannot get this game to run. dude got it to run on windows 11 no problem. others can run it on windows 10 but i can't. I hear this game is sorta notorious for this.

anyway, i'm out of ideas on how to get this game to run so i've turned here. does ANYONE know how to get the game running. if need be ill share the dropbox as it is abandonware but if that's against the rules, i won't.

• 4 months later...

Hi! Not sure if you've fixed this or not so I apologize if I'm reviving a thread for no reason - but I made this account just to let you know about the "improved" No-CD exe I made and uploaded to moddb here. nGlide is still recommended however, or the game will look pixelated or glitchy without it.

It should run on any modern Windows system, doesn't require a CD to play and has a few added graphics settings that the game originally doesn't offer.

Music will not work unless you mount the CD to a virtual drive. Alternatively, you can download these edited .dll's so that the game looks in the game's directory for music instead, allowing for custom music. Instructions included.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:13 AM, earth said:

Hi! Not sure if you've fixed this or not so I apologize if I'm reviving a thread for no reason - but I made this account just to let you know about the "improved" No-CD exe I made and uploaded to moddb here. nGlide is still recommended however, or the game will look pixelated without it.

It should run on any modern Windows system, doesn't require a CD to play and has a few added graphics settings that the game originally doesn't offer.

Music will not work unless you mount the CD to a virtual drive. Alternatively, you can download these edited .dll's so that the game looks in the game's directory for music instead, allowing for custom music. Instructions included.

thank you so much dude. gonna try it now. i could not for the life of me get this game to work and when i saw friends playing it on windows 11 of all things, i just gave up.

You're welcome! Glad to help. I just realized that my instructions on the music isn't the clearest so I'll update that readme, but here's another important bit regarding the music.

Name the tracks as such:

track01.ogg
track02.ogg
track10.ogg
track12.ogg

and so on. there are 13 tracks in in the game.

track01 is a duplicate of the main theme, and is unused.

3 hours ago, earth said:

You're welcome! Glad to help. I just realized that my instructions on the music isn't the clearest so I'll update that readme, but here's another important bit regarding the music.

Name the tracks as such:

track01.ogg
track02.ogg
track10.ogg
track12.ogg

so rename all the tracks to .ogg and put them in the main game folder basically?

20 hours ago, earth said:

Yeah convert them to .ogg (Audacity can do this and is free), make a folder called "Music" in the South Park directory and plop the music in there.

ZOVaPwz.png

BNTsKZW.png

okay so the .exe works and the game starts but the mouse goes completely spastic in the menus and ingame. reopening the game doesn't fix this, you open the game, the mouse goes haywire. but it does finally work, kudos.

now im try to do the muisic thing, when i download the spmusicdlls you linked, they come in libogg-0.dll, lbvorbis-0.dll, lbvorbisfile-3.dll and winnmm.dll. i'm guessing i will get the actual tracks once i convert these with audacity? 

20 hours ago, earth said:

Name the tracks as such:

track01.ogg
track02.ogg
track10.ogg
track12.ogg

also, this is what happens when you alt tab/ windows key then go back in the game 

Untitled.png

For that you have to rip the music from the CD (or find it online) and convert them to .ogg format. The .dll files just tell the game not to use the CD for music anymore and use the game directory instead.

Have you installed nGlide? These glitches aren't a result of the patch, the game already does these type of things when not using nGlide. I've never changed dpi settings on the original but I would bet it happens there - the PC port is pretty low quality.

okay well you can't see the gameplay but you can hear it. i am using nglide and it's working great but as you can hear, the menu's go completley haywire and it's hard to select anything when the menus are going 100 mph. i get into gameplay and i walk foward without touching anything and my camera spins around indefinitley. also, the music is not playing. the txt file only found one track but even before when it found all 13, music still wasn't playing .

look, if you wanna dm me an exact copy of your game folder down to the music, i can verify if that one works or if this is just gross incompetence on my part.

jesus this port is infuriating, i'm surprised you were able to get it working