Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Andytizer

GOG.com don't plan on introducing Linux support in the foreseeable future

From Piotr Szczesniak from GOG.com:

There are a number of distros. We can support just one (which is how Steam is doing it), but since we believe strongly in freedom of choice, that's not our preference. On the other hand, supporting everything in the world is more burden than any business could assume So, the last time we looked into this, we investigated supporting three common ones: Mint, Debian, and Google's Chrome OS. We researched the number of OS updates, how often they occurred, when (and how frequently) various libraries are surpassed and deprecated. We then researched how often, for example, updates to these versions of Linux caused problems with DOSBox, SCUMMVM, and other tools that we make use of for our remastering process.

Click here to view the article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andytizer
      Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, has surprised us all by confirming that talks are ongoing with GOG.com to integrate Epic Games Store with GOG and their service, GOG Galaxy 2.0. This is surprising considering that Epic Games Store strategy has been one of exclusivity - although we note that this pertains mostly to Steam rather than Microsoft or other online distribution platforms.
      See the tweet here:
      We await news on what happens next - will Epic Games Store games get any rich integrations with GOG Galaxy 2.0?
    • By Andytizer
      In this article in German from gamestar.de, CD Projekt head Piotr Karwoski was quoted saying:
      PC Gamer has also come forward to state that GOG Galaxy 2.0 is officially partnered with Microsoft:
      The battle for the ultimate PC games platform continues. Check out our (admittedly flawed) platform features overview wiki page for a comparison of Steam, GOG.com, Microsoft Store, Epic Games Store and others.
    • By Voxarp
      Hi, my name's Voxarp. I learned of PCGamingWiki from the late TotalBiscuit's videos back in the day and I used to help contribute from time to time but now days I'm mostly just a user. Thanks to everyone involved for providing such a great wiki!

Recently Valve has introduced a new feature of SteamPlay called Proton which is a variant of WINE that allows Linux and possibly OSX to run Windows-only games. It's an exciting time!

What the community seems to desperately need is a resource to:
      Report game compatibility, possibly with a WineDB type rating of Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum - right now all we have is a spreadsheet on Google Docs. Present fixes and workarounds for games that don't work out of the box. Provide clear delineation between Proton versions, a game might work properly on one Proton version but not another. Possibly provide an overview page with statistics on the percentage of games working, with a table that lets you sort by criteria such as Proton version or compatibility rating. I know this is a lot of effort and not to be taken lightly, but I feel it fits right in with PCGamingWiki's objective of providing fixes and workarounds for every single PC game.

Relevant Links
      Valve's Announcement: https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
      SteamPlay on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamPlay
      linux_gaming on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming
      Compatibility Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8
    • By Kenji Kusanagi
      This is a pack containing a compiled OpenAL Soft libraries and softwares for Linux use. It was compiled by me (KayX291) in order to help newcomers with using OpenAL Soft without trying to compile it by themselves. It can be used for specific software which uses OpenAL or use it in your system as a replacement.

The main difference between OpenAL and OpenAL Soft is the fact that the latter is not only open source, but also a support for mono, stereo, 4-channel, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and HRTF output. But with the configurator, you can customize and even enhance the sound output with filters, effects etc.

It contains:
      - OpenAL Soft libraries
      - OpenAL Soft GUI Configurator
      - HRTF files
      - alsoftrc sample file
      and more.

They are available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Dependencies required:
      Qt5 and pressumably SDL2 (For GUI configurator to work)

Compiled on:
      ArchLinux - 64 bit
      Manjaro 17.0.6 (via VirtualBox) - 32 bit

Credits
      Loki Software for OpenAL
      KCat for OpenAL Soft
      Me for compiling em
    • By Kenji Kusanagi
      This is a source port for two Blake Stone games called BStone, compiled by me since in the GitHub page the creator did not include the precompiled one cept for Windows one.

It is based on the 1.1.9 source code, than the development version so it is generally stable.

All you need to do is just put the binary file into the main game folder and you're ready to go. It supports Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike

BStone was made by Boris I. Bendovsky
      Compiled by KayX291

Dependencies required to run:

SDL v.2.0.1 (Also known as SDL2) or newer

Main page (with instructions) and the source code can be found in this link:
      https://github.com/bibendovsky/bstone
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 98 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online