Petter

Things that still make my blood boil in modern gaming …

Hello everyone,,

I’ve been gaming a lot lately mainly due to some life circumstances that allow me to have lots of free time. So i got MS game pass and origin access and bought some other games on steam etc.... That said I’m still surprised that some games have extremely annoying elements in them. These are game breaking but they bother me a lot to the point that i had to drop some of the games altogether.

Here is a list in no particular order.showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/

unskippable ans unpausable cutscenes: why?? Why is that still a thing?? It’s insulting to gamers period!! Are you loading stuff in the background? Well just notify my that still loading and immediately cut once loading is done. Afraid that people will mistakenly exit a cutscene.? Well make a double tap or long press to quit. Also you can always allow people to rewatch all cutscenes in the options. All these are solutions that already exist yet some dev will simply not implement them. There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn’t allow me to pause a cutscene.

games that starts the campaign immediately upon starting them the first time without allowing you to access the option screen. Seriously why??? Can you please allow me to choose my preferred resolution at a minimum?? Maybe i don’t want to pay the campaign and rather try other modes. Even worse some game will immediately start the campaign and will have a long ass unskippable cutscene.

intros that take for ever. Yeah I’m talking about the launch intro with the brand and dev and nvidia and Dolby etc. I mean come on!!! Some are as long as a minute.

-game tutorial that wanna teach you every detailed aspect of the game all in one go without giving you a learning curve or allow you to experiment with the basic stuff first. Some will literally throw you in a major battle at the beginning of the game with complicated mechanics and timed events. Unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, Petter said:

1.unskippable ans unpausable cutscenes: why?? Why is that still a thing?? It’s insulting to gamers period!! Are you loading stuff in the background? Well just notify my that still loading and immediately cut once loading is done. Afraid that people will mistakenly exit a cutscene.? Well make a double tap or long press to quit. Also you can always allow people to rewatch all cutscenes in the options. All these are solutions that already exist yet some dev will simply not implement them. There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn’t allow me to pause a cutscene.

2.games that starts the campaign immediately upon starting them the first time without allowing you to access the option screen. Seriously why??? Can you please allow me to choose my preferred resolution at a minimum?? Maybe i don’t want to pay the campaign and rather try other modes. Even worse some game will immediately start the campaign and will have a long ass unskippable cutscene.

3.intros that take for ever. Yeah I’m talking about the launch intro with the brand and dev and nvidia and Dolby etc. I mean come on!!! Some are as long as a minute.

4.game tutorial that wanna teach you every detailed aspect of the game all in one go without giving you a learning curve or allow you to experiment with the basic stuff first. Some will literally throw you in a major battle at the beginning of the game with complicated mechanics and timed events. Unbelievable.

1. Can't comment on that.
2. We list the config file location as remedy to this. Still, same as you I would love seeing this issue dissolve into darkness.
3. /\
4. Can't comment on that.

40 minutes ago, Petter said:

intros that take for ever. Yeah I’m talking about the launch intro with the brand and dev and nvidia and Dolby etc. I mean come on!!! Some are as long as a minute.

So one of the main reasons PCGamingWiki was founded was to crowdsource how to remove those damn unskippable intro logos, and I think we have been very successful in doing it so far! In Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, removing the intro video logos takes the loading time down from around 52 seconds to around 20 seconds.

30 minutes ago, Petter said:

-game tutorial that wanna teach you every detailed aspect of the game all in one go without giving you a learning curve or allow you to experiment with the basic stuff first. Some will literally throw you in a major battle at the beginning of the game with complicated mechanics and timed events. Unbelievable.

I find these 'grand battle' tutorials can be very immersion breaking - as you are put into what would be a very challenging scenario for your character inside a major plot moment. But to compensate for your lack of skills, the game gives you 'plot armour' and lets you steamroll the scenario - for example the intro for Dragon Age 2.

One thing I stress about is not knowing whether the game is 'saved' or not. Especially games that rely heavily on checkpoints and don't let you manually save. And then when you try to quit it says 'All progress since last checkpoint will be lost' without also telling you when the last checkpoint save was.

But really one of the greatest problem with modern PC gaming is the way that microtransactions have infiltrated every aspect of gaming. The 'complete' product is becoming a rare commodity as AAA games seek to find every opportunity to insert DLC, lootboxes, cosmetic microtransaction noise as the expense of the game and the player.