Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Antrad

News section should be more focused on fixing games

In my opinion the news section should be more focused on what this Wiki is like fixing games, compatibility issues and that kind of stuff.

For example in the past few weeks new versions of nGlide, dgVoodoo and DosBox has been released, I think stuff like that deserves some attention, since these and other tools are very important for many games and you wont see mainstream media cover this stuff.

Another example is Microsoft shutting down their games servers that were used on Windows 7 which is now causing serious issues for W7 users like some random games not starting and rundll.exe stressing their CPU. Here is a discussion about it on GOG. I think stuff like that are perfect for website like this to cover.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/old_games_not_launching_and_eating_100_of_the_cpu_on_windows_7/page1

These are some recent examples that I can think of.

The news section is mostly community-driven, with no direct guidelines on content other than what is required to get featured.

While "should be more focused on what this Wiki is like fixing games, compatibility issues and that kind of stuff" is a nice idea to have, it doesn't mean much if the community contributors aren't aware of the subject matters you speak of.

I am fine with the current way the news section is handled as it ensures PCGW's news contributors cover current ongoing events within the PC gaming space, which always gets a nice exposure on social media which further expands the reach of PCGW. While we shouldn't dismiss posts about fixes or compatibility issues, I don't think making it the sole subjects of news submissions on PCGW is healthy, as it wouldn't ensure a steady flow of news contributions and most of it wouldn't be very engaging to readers.

I do think though that we could add a provision in the "required to get featured" guidelines to allow for some sort of preferential treatment to submissions about fixes or compatibility issues. This might result in more submissions of the sorts you speak of, and allow those submissions to be more easily featured on the front page of the wiki and whatnot.

10 hours ago, Antrad said:

new versions of nGlide, dgVoodoo and DosBox has been released

Thanks! And I tend to agree, stuff like this should be getting more coverage on here.

Widescreen Gaming Forums is one step close to being shut down thanks to idiots at Google, this is another example what this site should report about.