6 hours ago, Mirh said:

Ehrm.. My own limited tests picture another situation.

It's not super fair to compare dedicated soundcards to a Realtek (even though, this fared relatively good here) but benchmarks made already under Vista shows Creative has more to share with the latter category. So.. I'm wondering how much this is up to the driver, and how much actually the OS. Are you sure all enhancements are disabled? Are the outputs all set to stereo? And could you try normal 16-bit @ 44.1/48 khz?

Then I'm also no psychologist, but I feel like you really seem *hoping* too much into clueless explanations (no, Dolby just team up for multi-channel endeavors) 

Hide contents

ALC887--->Xonar DX

RMAA.png.56d30592ba68eb995e32cdd7903b966a.pngALC887-->ALC887

RMAA2.PNG.5c33cb476f7f42a8fbd85161f254a564.PNG

(full disclosure: I didn't post other results, because noise in the garbled mess of cables I have behind my computer is killer)

Its lol. 16 bit mode should not be used as it adds noise (dither) for smoothing (quantization feature associated with to reproduce a material of lower bit depth on a higher bit depth of the sound card) Try it yourself to listen to something trite in the 16-bit sound card mode and in 24-bit (but this does not apply to the source of the sound, music or other recordings there ... ). In moments of pause and transition from silence to loud sounds, there will be such background noise similar to telephone.  Specifically now, of course, I already have no opportunity to retest this all again. But I think the other day I will repeat the experiments with another laptop. In general, for the purity of the experiment, I would put windows 7 on my PC, where xonar dx is installed, but it’s hard to install this rudimentary on current platforms (kaby lake). Of course, deviations are possible that the drivers have some kind of fixes for the seven and other magic, but in my case the drivers were the same everywhere with the same conditions.

You are really presenting just too.. odd interpretations.

First of all, I'm not even sure how physically sound cards could be "full" 24-bit, considering I'm not aware of hardware even approaching the complete 144dB dynamic range.

Second Windows automatically outputs 16-bit (even if 24 bit is selected) if the source is 16-bit. Legitly.

Third, and most of all, there are people with thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment, that still couldn't find differences from the lowest 16/44.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary_talk:Sound#x16_bit_is_just_good_2534

On 2/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, Mirh said:

Second Windows automatically outputs 16-bit (even if 24 bit is selected) if the source is 16-bit. Legitly. 

I don't think this is really the case any longer, based on my testing with my Hi-Res Audio certified DAC and headset.

That DAC have a visual indicator that showcases what sample rate and bit depth, and in shared mode it will _always_ output as the selected format according to what I've selected in the Advanced tab of the output device (24 bit, 96 000 Hz). In exclusive mode through WASAPI it'll output whatever format is configured in the player, regardless of the source itself (tested and verified using Foobar2k and the foo_out_wasapi plugin.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Similar Content

• By yoorrik
      Widescreen & Multiplayer for Contract J.A.C.K
      -----------------------------------------------
      - Supports monitor aspect ratio 16:9, 16:10 and resolution up to 1920x1080.
      - change Field of View FOV 95 / FOV 110.
      - Fix by Spawn for Multiplayer / Dedicated server for playing online (GameSpy.dll file)
      - Fix by B.Vorontsov for comfortable play on Windows 10 (d3d8.dll file)
      - Fix "Catastrophic failure" error for Windows 10
      WARNING!
      After setting a new resolution using WideScreenFix_CJ Do not open the Display menu in the game!
      Otherwise, geometric distortions will occur and you will have to restart the game.
      Installation.
      --------------
      1. Before installing, upgrade the game Contract J.A.C.K. up to version 1.1.
      2. Install the latest Official DirectX version (June 2010) https://www.download3k.com/Install-DirectX-Redistributable.html
      3. In the properties of the game shortcut, specify compatibility with Windows XP SP3 and specify the launch from the Administrator:
         ContractJACK Shortcut -> Right Mouse Button -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run the program in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3 -> Run the program as Administrator
      4. Run WideScreenFix_CJ.exe, Select FOV, select the aspect ratio and resolution of your display.
         The widescreen patch WideScreenFix_CJ will be automatically installed into your game on the way from the Registry.
         NOTE
         If the automatic installation of WideScreenFix_CJ.exe does not work, then copy all files from the "Files_for_Manual_installation" folder to the game folder.
         Then follow the instructions "Self-installation WideScreenFix_CJ" (see at the end of the text).
      5. Adjusting mouse parameters For smooth play and accurate shooting (see picture):
         Settings -> Controls -> Mouse -> Mouse sensitivity -> minimum
         Settings -> Controls -> Mouse -> Mouse Smoothing -> Maximum
      6. How to play over the Internet and how to create a game server read in the "Fix Multiplayer" folder
      7. How to install stable FPS for the display on Windows 10 read in the "Fix for Windows 10" folder
      8. How to fix the error "Catastrophic failure" for Windows 10 read in the "Fix Catastrophic failure error" folder

Unistall
      ----------
      Reinstall WideScreenFix_CJ in Restore to Default mode.

Known BUGS & SOLUTIONS
      -------------------------
      Unzip and read file "readme_WideScreenCJ.txt"
      Original here
      https://www.moddb.com/games/contract-jack/downloads/widescreen-support-for-contract-jack

• By ravishing_man99
      Unable to launch the game(Stealth Inc2: A Game of Clones). Whenever I try to launch the game, I am getting the above error. I even tried to reinstall it but couldn't solve it. Does anybody have similar issues?  I am on Windows 10. Thanks in advance.
    • By bibendovsky
      Console application to fix Doom 3 (2004) visual twitch bug with EAX / OpenAL.
      Latest release and source code can be found here.
    • By Sokholov
      Since i reinstalled win 10 on my PC after having some issues with my previous install, i can't manage to do it work with bluetooth again.
      The joystick is even recognized by the OS in a first moment, a pop up comes out asking 'tap to see what to do whit this device' and then it disconnects a couple seconds later..
      Current OS is Windows 10 PRO update 1909
      The DS4 Windows 3rd party software can't solve the problem either, only wired connection works as normal.
      i tried to make it work both with the current version v2.15 and a older version that installs a driver now replaced by ViGEmBus and doesn't worked as well.
      When wired, the OS recognizes the DS4 as a wireless controller on bluetooth tab, but when attempting to connect it wirelessly it doesn't even appear at all..
      My dongle is a Orico 4.1 bts and it works just fine for pairing my smart phone.
      Another thing is that pressing together PS and share buttons doesn't make the OS ask for a pairing code..
      It used to work like a charm in the previous win installation, also, i had an Xbox One controller paired with windows before, dunno if it helped somehow to recognize the DS4 as an x360 controller on HID devices before, i even installed the x360 driver recently (recommended for win 7 users) for no avail.
      And a final observation, the box on bluetooth generic radio properties on device manager tab asking 'allow windows to turn device off to save power' is already unchecked.
      Any clues? Any help attempt is appreciated.
    • By KyoriAsh
      An addon file to restore back SafeDisc function to Windows 10.
      Download this file Extract to a temporary location on the system. Copy secdrv.sys to %WINDIR%\system32\drivers. Import secdrv.reg to Windows registry. As the service may still not work due to lack of a digital signature , refer to these instructions to disable driver signature verification in the operating system and sign the driver with a custom digital signature.  
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 406 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online