PCGamingWiki will use a Single Sign On (SSO) system to bridge wiki and forum accounts which is ready for testing. You may login using the 'Login with PCGamingWiki' button on both the wiki and the forum, which will soon be the only option. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Antrad

CD audio tracks

Do you have a particular situation in mind where this information would be useful?

1) This Wiki lists a lot of technical aspects of games like DRM, graphics and sound API, physics middleware, etc... so listing that the game uses CD audio tracks for music and/or sound effects would make sense.

2) Some older games can have issues playing CD tracks on modern Windows, so you need to use a custom winmm.dll, then rip them to OGG format and then put everything in the game installation folder (some old games are re-realeased like this on digital platforms, for example Extreme G-2). This info would be useful on pages of games with that problem.

I am bumping up this thread, not sure if anything was done about it in the meantime.

CD music playback is broken since Windows Vista:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36870&p=643220&hilit=HardwareAudioMixer#p643220

Not only do people have trouble getting the music to play, but once it does you have no control of the music volume, changing the music volume in the settings changes other sounds as well. I experienced that in several games now. And it gets worse than that, I am currently playing a game on Windows XP, because the game changes CD music volume during gameplay, so on my new Windows 7 computer when the CD music goes silent all other sounds go silent, it is completely broken game now, because of the changes in Windows audio mixer.

Just like there is a note now about broken DRM, there should be a note for games using Red Book CD Audio and we need some flag/marker in audio/middleware section for it.

Yeah, it should be pointed out if a game uses CD audio or not. It wasn't unusual back in the day, and quite a lot of them are affected in newer Windows versions, so it wouldn't be an bad idea to have a marker for them.