Partnership with StrategyWiki

Andytizer

I believe a partnership would be beneficial for both parties.

As for implementing links to StrategyWiki, I think a partner box would be more appropriate than a link from the infobox. Without any analytics it's hard to tell how often the infobox links are used, but I would assume most readers would ignore them if they don't know the websites already.

Edit:

Then again, there's the question if this would clutter the page more than necessary. As pointed out by Marioysikax, there's a lot of free space in the infobox. Increasing the icon size would (probably) not break it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've set my bot to start updating links on both sides, but only if we both have a page about the specific game: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Auto_Prod_Bot

A few points regarding the limitations of the bot:

• Please let me know if you notice any incorrect links.  I'll be running my bot periodically and if links are modified manually, it will try to re-add it.
  • If different games use the same name on both sites, it will link them incorrectly. We may have to rename the guide on strategywiki.
  • The bot only follows redirects on strategywiki.  If it doesn't link two guides together that should be, please create a redirect on strategywiki or let me know and I'll do it.

Your bot creates duplicates

http://pcgamingwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Lego_Star_Wars_III:_The_Clone_Wars&curid=21425&diff=243115&oldid=242603

Lego one is incorrect and is only redirect so it's unreliable. SW uses LEGO as main article.

That's actually by design.  We try to have redirects created for all the reasonable misspellings, or alternate names for the same game.  Essentially, if a guide didn't get linked, we should create a redirect on strategywiki from the pcgw name to the sw name.

The issues I've found so far:

1. PCGW: "Rayman Raving Rabbids" - I've put a special case in the bot to avoid touching that page any further.  This was released on console first, so we disambiguate them differently.
  2. SW: A few games redirect instead of having separate guides.  I'll fix them up on our side, but shouldn't have any impact here.

My bot has now finished running through all the pages it could figure out. A total of 882 games have been linked together.

I've also added an entry to StrategyWiki:Guide/Partnerships and I will mention this on social media later today.

That's actually by design.  We try to have redirects created for all the reasonable misspellings, or alternate names for the same game.  Essentially, if a guide didn't get linked, we should create a redirect on strategywiki from the pcgw name to the sw name.

In that linked example a second strategywiki= entry was added rather than updating the existing one.

In that linked example a second strategywiki= entry was added rather than updating the existing one.

The bot is designed to link to the pcgw name, so if someone manually enters a different name, it'll add the parameter with the proper name, but won't overwrite the existing ones.  It flags duplicates like that for me to correct though.

Some games can't have SW links BTW like Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City since SW lists the DLCs separately.

Just for the records, EFLC isn't a dlc. It doesn't require base game.

The issues I've found so far:

1. PCGW: "Rayman Raving Rabbids" - I've put a special case in the bot to avoid touching that page any further.  This was released on console first, so we disambiguate them differently.
  2. SW: A few games redirect instead of having separate guides.  I'll fix them up on our side, but shouldn't have any impact here.

My bot has now finished running through all the pages it could figure out. A total of 882 games have been linked together.

I've also added an entry to StrategyWiki:Guide/Partnerships and I will mention this on social media later today.

The bot is designed to link to the pcgw name, so if someone manually enters a different name, it'll add the parameter with the proper name, but won't overwrite the existing ones.  It flags duplicates like that for me to correct though.

New version is now running.

• It will create redirects on strategywiki as required.
  • It won't add duplicate |strategywiki entries and will update existing entries.
  • It will understand when different games have the same name, so it doesn't require any special cases for (1) above.

In short, set up links however you want on pcgw, and my bot will create the redirects on strategywiki and switch the names as required.

Please let me know if you notice any further issues

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 273 Guests (See full list)